Recursion relation in the hydrogen atom

In summary, the homework statement is that if bj-1:=0, then when moving forward with increasing j all subsequent bj would also equal zero.
sunrah

Homework Statement

Given the following recursion formula:

[itex]b_{j} = 2 \frac{kj - a}{j(j+1)-l(l+1)} \cdot b_{j-1}[/itex]

(where a, k and l are constants) how can

[itex]b_{j = l} \neq 0[/itex] if [itex]b_{j - 1} = 0[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a part question and I really can't see why. if bl-1 = 0 then bl = 0 also. But then all subsequent bj as well !

Physics news on Phys.org
Well firstly bj=l = (2(kl-a))/0*bj-1 thus if bj-1 = 0 we come to the indeterminant form 0/0 . This implies that bj=l could possibly be nonzero. I know this isn't very mathematically rigorous, but I suppose you could try l'hopital's rule on the first equation with respect to l.

grindfreak said:
you could try l'hopital's rule on the first equation with respect to l.

hi, I don't see how that would help. surely you'd have to differentiate w.r.t. j and take the limit as j → l but my understanding is that the bj are constants not dependent on j so the factor bj-1=0 would remain after differentiating.

Perhaps not l'Hopitals rule, but the only way that bl-1 can equal zero is if kl-a=0 or l=a/k. This also makes the numerator of bl=j = 0 as well as it's denominator. Since you end up with the indeterminate form of 0/0, we don't know for sure that bl=j = 0 and thus might actually be nonzero. I believe your problem was looking for speculation and not necessarily a formal proof.

second question, how would you use this recursion formula? If bj-1:= 0, then when moving forward with increasing j all subsequent bj would also equal zero. Is it possible to move back from a non zero upper limit perhaps j = n, where n is the main quantum number.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about moving backwards since, like you've stated, every bj is zero due to the fact that every numerator of the recursion is zero. The one exception being bj=l where both the denominator and the numerator are zero. Since this is the case, we end up with an indeterminate form. Now where to go from there I'm not sure, since it is neither zero, nor infinite, there is definitely a chance that it is nonzero. But, judging by how the question is worded I don't think they're looking for a rigorous proof, but how it is possible that it is nonzero.

hi, this formula is used to calculate the eigenstates of the hydrogen atom (at least that's the context of how we derived it in class) so it should produce a range of non-zero results. It's weird because I can't find this formula in the literature, all the books I know use a different one without the pole at j = l

Yes I noticed this, most texts use:

[tex]c_{j+1}=\frac{2(j+l+1-n}{(j+1)(j+2(l+1))}c_{j}\[/tex]

I believe.

Related to Recursion relation in the hydrogen atom

1. What is a recursion relation in the hydrogen atom?

A recursion relation in the hydrogen atom is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the energy levels of the electron and the principal quantum number, n. It is used to calculate the energy levels of the electron in a hydrogen atom.

2. How is the recursion relation derived?

The recursion relation is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of matter at the atomic scale. By solving the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom, we can obtain the recursion relation.

3. What is the significance of the recursion relation in understanding the hydrogen atom?

The recursion relation is significant because it allows us to predict the energy levels of the electron in a hydrogen atom. This is important in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms, which is crucial in many fields of science, including chemistry and physics.

4. Can the recursion relation be applied to other atoms besides hydrogen?

Yes, the recursion relation can be applied to other atoms with only one electron, such as helium and lithium. However, it cannot be applied to more complex atoms with multiple electrons, as the interactions between the electrons make the calculations more complicated.

5. Are there any limitations to using the recursion relation in the hydrogen atom?

Yes, there are limitations to using the recursion relation in the hydrogen atom. It only applies to atoms with one electron, and it does not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions between particles. Additionally, it assumes that the electron is moving in a spherically symmetric potential, which is not always the case in real atoms.