Recurrence Relation - limit of a sequence

In summary, if a sequence is defined as an+1=(ψ)an + (λ), then it will diverge if ψ≥1 or ψ≤-1 and converge to λ/(1-ψ) if -1<ψ<1. For the specific sequence xn=√(5xn-1+6), where x1=2, it converges to a set limit due to its slow growth rate. One way to determine this limit is to suppose that it exists and calculate it by putting xn-1 = x. This allows for the study of potential attractors and their basins of attraction. Other methods to evaluate the convergence of recurrence relations may involve looking at trends or using
dumbQuestion
Hello,

It is my understanding that if we have a sequence defined as follows:an+1=(ψ)an + (λ)Then if ψ≥1 or ψ≤-1, the sequence diverges. If -1<ψ<1, the sequence converges to:

λ/(1-ψ)I was working problems in a book and one of the problems said that the following sequence converges:

xn=√(5xn-1+6), where x1=2Can somebody explain to me why this converges? I mean, I guess it grows at such a slow rate that eventually it converges to a set limit. But what are some ways I can determine that limit? I mean are there any tools to evaluate the convergence of recurrance relations, like basic tools we have when dealing with regular sequences? The only "tool" I know is the one I listed above and my calculus book doesn't really look at these. Or when it comes to these, do I just have to plug in the first few numbers and look for a general trend? Thanks for the advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
A useful trick is to suppose first of all that it does converge, to x say, then think what that would mean if you put xn-1 = x. You should then be able to calculate x (may be more than one solution). Some solutions may be attractors, i.e. if you start within a certain range - the basin of attraction - you will converge to that limit; others may not be, i.e. no matter how close you start to that solution you won't converge there. Knowing a potential limit allows you to study how the difference between a current value and the proposed limit changes with each step - does it shrink to zero?

Related to Recurrence Relation - limit of a sequence

What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence recursively, meaning that each term in the sequence is defined in terms of previous terms. This allows for the calculation of terms in the sequence without having to know all the previous terms.

What is the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms in the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. It is often denoted by lim and can be used to determine the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity.

How is a recurrence relation used to calculate the limit of a sequence?

A recurrence relation can be used to calculate the limit of a sequence by repeatedly applying the recursive equation until the sequence converges to a single value. This value is then the limit of the sequence.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is one in which the terms approach a single limit as the number of terms increases. A divergent sequence is one in which the terms do not approach a single limit and instead either increase or decrease without bound.

Can a recurrence relation be used to solve any type of sequence?

No, a recurrence relation is only applicable to certain types of sequences that exhibit a recursive pattern. It cannot be used to solve all types of sequences, such as non-recursive or random sequences.