Rectilinear Motion Take-Home Exam - DEAD END

In summary, a student is seeking help with a take-home exam due in 12 hours. They have posted 4 problems and are specifically struggling with executing them. One question involves determining the minimum stopping distance, and they are unsure if knowing the mass of the block is necessary to calculate the normal force and force due to static friction. Another person, named ehild, responds that knowing the mass is not necessary as the normal force can be expressed in terms of m and will cancel out.
mizzou0222
Hi everyone.

I'm in crisis mode over this take-home exam I have due in 12 hours. I've posted the 4 problems I'm stuck on and ANY help would be a life-saver.

I can get all of them setup, but am completely clueless as to how to actually execute them.

I have a few questions in specific:

[Question 2] To determine the minimum stopping distance, wouldn't I need to know the mass of the block in order to calculate the normal force and, by extension, the force due to static friction?

[Question 5] ...what?

Attachments

• Test 3 Q6.pdf
    192.4 KB · Views: 1,056
Physics news on Phys.org
mizzou0222 said:
[Question 2] To determine the minimum stopping distance, wouldn't I need to know the mass of the block in order to calculate the normal force and, by extension, the force due to static friction?

No. Express the normal force in terms of m. It will cancel.

ehild

Related to Rectilinear Motion Take-Home Exam - DEAD END

1. What is rectilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a straight line with a constant velocity. This means that the object's speed and direction do not change during its motion.

2. What is the difference between rectilinear motion and curvilinear motion?

The main difference between rectilinear motion and curvilinear motion is the path of the moving object. In rectilinear motion, the object follows a straight line, while in curvilinear motion, the object follows a curved path. Additionally, in rectilinear motion, the object's velocity remains constant, whereas in curvilinear motion, the object's velocity may change due to the changing direction.

3. What is the equation for calculating displacement in rectilinear motion?

The equation for calculating displacement in rectilinear motion is Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the change in position, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

4. How is velocity related to rectilinear motion?

In rectilinear motion, the velocity of the object is constant and is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time taken to travel that distance. This means that the velocity can be calculated by dividing the displacement by the time taken.

5. Can an object in rectilinear motion change direction?

No, an object in rectilinear motion cannot change direction. As the name suggests, rectilinear motion only involves motion in a straight line, so the object's direction remains constant throughout its motion.