Rectangular Waveguide With Dipole in it

In summary, the antenna will excite a number of the propagating waveguide modes, as well as a number of evanescent (non-propagating) modes that are localized near the antenna and store electromagnetic energy.
fred3142
Hi,

I know that to receive or inject a signal into a rectangular waveguide (I'll just call it a waveguide from now on with the assumption that I mean rectangular waveguide), you can get a dipole of some sort, and poke it into the waveguide.

What I'm wondering about is, if I got a dipole antenna (for example, I I stood an old-school mobile phone up in waveguide) and put it in the waveguide and excited it, what would happen?

As far as I know, the dipole produces TEM waves; however, the waveguide doesn't support TEM, so what will it do? I'm pretty sure it's got to transmit somehow, so does it somehow convert it into TE?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correctt that it will in general radiate energy into the waveguide. This is in fact one practical way to get energy into and out of a waveguide. The details of what happens is messy and depends upon excatly where you place the antenna, the size of the antenna, etc.

In general, the antenna will excite a number of the propagating waveguide modes, as well as a number of evanescent (non-propagating) modes that are localized near the antenna and store electromagnetic energy. The propagating modes determine the radiation resistance (real part of antenna input impedance), while the evanescent modes determine the radiation reactance (imaginary part of the input impedance).

You can use your intuition to get a good first guess as to where the antenna should be in order to excite, say, the TE10 mode of a rectangular waveguide. You can start by using a frequency for which only the TE10 mode propagates. Then, placing the antenna where the peak of the electric field should be (in the middle!) gets you the right location in one dimension. The other dimension (how close to one of the two "ends" of the waveguide) can dramatically impact the input impedance.

Jason

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure I entirely understand, from what I understand, you're saying that in order to excite the TE10 mode, one must place the antenna in a particular location in the guide; does this mean that then only the TE10 mode will be excited (because in order to excite the other modes, one'd need to place the antenna somewhere else)?

I'm actually trying to understand this question which was asked in a previous exam (in 2009). I calculated the TE10 cutoff to be about 600MHz and the TE01 to be about 850MHz. My idea is that in all the cases (i), (ii) and (iii), the signal will reach the end of the waveguide; however, depending on the frequency, it'll split over multiple modes (so for (i), it'll travel to the end of the guide in both the TE10 and the TE01 modes). I have no answer to this question, and am just trying to understand this better.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 2009ExamQuestion.png
    2009ExamQuestion.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 512
Fred3142,

This is a coursework style question so this isn't the appropriate forum. Please read the pinned thread in this "Classical Physics" forum:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=89899
In any case, this is a question about cutoff and the polarization of the different modes. You should be able to take it from there. Hint: think physically.

If you have more questions please post in the "homework and coursework" forum. Thanks,

jason

Ah okay, sorry I did not realize. Thank you nonetheless!

Related to Rectangular Waveguide With Dipole in it

1. What is a rectangular waveguide?

A rectangular waveguide is a type of transmission line used to guide electromagnetic waves, typically in the microwave frequency range, from one point to another. It is made of a rectangular hollow metal tube and is used in various applications such as communication systems, radar systems, and satellite systems.

2. What is a dipole antenna?

A dipole antenna is a type of radio antenna that consists of two conductive elements, usually metal rods, that are equal in length and are separated by a small gap. It is the simplest type of antenna and is widely used in communication systems due to its relatively high gain and omnidirectional radiation pattern.

3. How does the dipole antenna work in a rectangular waveguide?

The dipole antenna works in a rectangular waveguide by converting the guided electromagnetic waves into radiating electromagnetic waves. The two metal rods of the dipole act as conductors, and when an alternating current is applied to them, it creates an oscillating electric field between the rods. This electric field then radiates out of the waveguide as electromagnetic waves.

4. What are the advantages of using a dipole antenna in a rectangular waveguide?

One advantage of using a dipole antenna in a rectangular waveguide is its high efficiency. This means that a large percentage of the input power is converted into radiated energy. Additionally, dipole antennas have a relatively simple design and are lightweight, making them easy to install and maintain.

5. What are the limitations of using a dipole antenna in a rectangular waveguide?

One limitation of using a dipole antenna in a rectangular waveguide is its narrow bandwidth. This means that it can only operate within a specific range of frequencies, making it less versatile compared to other types of antennas. Additionally, the size of the dipole antenna is limited by the dimensions of the waveguide, which can restrict its power handling capability.