Rectangular Potential and Constraints

In summary: Summary: In summary, a friend asked for help on a QM homework and thought about it for a while. They checked a few textbooks and found that if they solved the potential in a piecewise form, they would get psi(x) = \begin{cases} L_1 e^{ik_Lx} + L_2 e^{-ik_Lx} & x < -a \\ C_1 e^{kx} + C_2 e^{-kx} & -a < x < a \\ R_1 e^{ik_Rx} + R_2 e^{-ik_Rx} & x > a \end{cases}. They found that by demanding that psi(
Kreizhn
Hey all,

A friend asked me for help the other day on his QM homework. The problem regards a rectangular potential
[tex] U(x) = \begin{cases} V_0 & -a \leq x \leq a \\ 0 & \text{otherwise} \end{cases}, \qquad E<V_0 [/tex]
I thought about this for a while and checked a few textbooks. If we solve this in a piecewise form, we get
[tex] \psi(x) = \begin{cases} L_1 e^{ik_Lx} + L_2 e^{-ik_Lx} & x < -a \\ C_1 e^{kx} + C_2 e^{-kx} & -a < x < a \\ R_1 e^{ik_Rx} + R_2 e^{-ik_Rx} & x > a \end{cases} [/tex]
Now by demanding that [itex] \psi(x) [/itex] be continuous and have continuous derivatives, we get 2 conditions from [itex] x=-a [/itex] and 2 from [itex] x=a [/itex] for a total of 4 conditions. Normalization gives us a 5th condition, but we need 6 in total. Now according to the textbooks, we can just set [itex] R_2 = 0 [/itex]. My question is, what is the motivation that allows us to set [itex] R_2 = 0[/itex]?

Edit: Sorry, I perhaps should have been more explicit. I hope it's clear I'm talking about solving the time dependent Schrodinger equation, and [itex] k_L, k_R [/itex] are appropriately defined constants. I didn't think they were important but meant to include them originally.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edited out my first paragraph, I noticed it was incorrect.

I suppose if in the book they are assuming the incoming particles are only coming from the negative x side, then you could set [tex]R_2[/tex] to 0. It is the probability amplitude a particle will reflect off the potential coming from the positive side. If there is no particles heading in that direction, there is no probability.

Last edited:
Actually a full analysis discusses the solutions including the time dependency. That analysis will include the notions of incoming probability wave and outgoing probability wave. When these 2 are properly defined, 2 of the complex exponentials terms will vanish.

which 2?

Both for the incoming wave and for the outgoing one the complex exponentials in t and x must have opposite signs (I assumed incoming wave from the left (-infty -> x) going to the right (x->+\infty)).

The condition [itex]R_2=0[/itex] is motivated by saying that the [itex]L_1[/itex] term corresponds to a wave incident from the left, the [itex]L_2[/itex] term corresponds to a wave that was reflected from the potential, and the [itex]R_1[/itex] term corresponds to a wave that was transmitted through the potential. We would want the [itex]R_2[/itex] term only if we had an incident wave from the right as well as the left.

With [itex]R_2=0[/itex], the reflection probability is [itex]|L_2/L_1|^2[/itex], and the transmission probability is [itex]|R_1/L_1|^2[/itex]. These should sum to 1, and will if you solve the problem correctly.

Doesn't the transmission probability have to account for the difference in wave number k (difference in momentum)?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry I'm so late in replying myself, my email screwed up :S

Related to Rectangular Potential and Constraints

What is a rectangular potential?

A rectangular potential is a type of potential energy that is defined by a constant value within a specific region and zero value outside of that region. It is commonly used to model the behavior of particles in a confined space.

How do rectangular potentials affect particle behavior?

Rectangular potentials can control the movement and behavior of particles within the defined region. Particles will tend to accumulate in the region with the constant potential, and their energy levels will be determined by the height of the potential barrier.

What are the constraints of a rectangular potential?

The main constraint of a rectangular potential is that it is limited to a specific region and cannot extend beyond that. Additionally, the potential barrier can only have a constant value and cannot vary within the region.

What factors can affect the shape of a rectangular potential?

The shape of a rectangular potential can be affected by the dimensions of the defined region, the height of the potential barrier, and the type of particles present. Additionally, external factors such as electric and magnetic fields can also alter the shape of the potential.

Can rectangular potentials be used in real-world applications?

Yes, rectangular potentials have many real-world applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used in electronic devices such as transistors and semiconductors, as well as in particle accelerators and quantum computing systems.