Rectangular function & Inequalities

In summary, we discussed manipulating the rectangular function with different arguments and came across the confusing case of trying to show that ∏(x2) is equal to ∏(x/√2). After recalling the function definition and solving the inequality, we saw that they are not the same. However, by using absolute values, we can show that they are equivalent.
radiator
Note: I think I solved this while writing this topic, did not want to scrap it! if you think its wrong let me know!

I am trying to manipulate the rectangular function with different arguments and came across a confusing one
Trying to show: [tex] \prod (x^2) = \prod (\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}) [/tex]
Recall that the rectangular function is given by:
[tex] \prod (x) = \begin{cases} 1 & if |x| < 1/2 \\ 0 & if |x| >1/2 \end{cases}[/tex]
if x -> x/T then
as a general case:
[tex] \prod (\frac{x}{T}) = \begin{cases} 1 & if |x| < T/2 \\ 0 & if |x| >T/2 \end{cases}[/tex]

this still gives the the rect function a width of T by solving
[tex] -T/2 < x < T/2 [/tex]
How about an argument such as

[tex] x \rightarrow x^2 [/tex]
trying to solve this ineqality
[tex] \begin{eqnarray} |x^2| & < & 1/2 \ if x \in R \\ x^2-1/2 & < & 0 \\ -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} < x & < & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\ -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} < x & < & \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \\ -\frac{1}{2} < \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}} & < & \frac{1}{2} \\ | \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}} |< | \frac{1}{2} | \end{eqnarray} [/tex]
Therefore:
[tex] \prod (x^2) = \prod (\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
radiator said:
Note: I think I solved this while writing this topic, did not want to scrap it! if you think its wrong let me know!

I am trying to manipulate the rectangular function with different arguments and came across a confusing one
Trying to show: [tex] \prod (x^2) = \prod (\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}) [/tex]
Recall that the rectangular function is given by:
[tex] \prod (x) = \begin{cases} 1 & if |x| < 1/2 \\ 0 & if |x| >1/2 \end{cases}[/tex]
if x -> x/T then
as a general case:
[tex] \prod (\frac{x}{T}) = \begin{cases} 1 & if |x| < T/2 \\ 0 & if |x| >T/2 \end{cases}[/tex]

this still gives the the rect function a width of T by solving
[tex] -T/2 < x < T/2 [/tex]
How about an argument such as

[tex] x \rightarrow x^2 [/tex]
trying to solve this ineqality
[tex] \begin{eqnarray} |x^2| & < & 1/2 \ if x \in R \\ x^2-1/2 & < & 0 \\ -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} < x & < & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\ -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} < x & < & \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \\ -\frac{1}{2} < \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}} & < & \frac{1}{2} \\ | \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}} |< | \frac{1}{2} | \end{eqnarray} [/tex]
Therefore:
[tex] \prod (x^2) = \prod (\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}) [/tex]

[STRIKE]They're not the same.[/STRIKE]
For ∏(x2), ∏(x2) = 1 if x2 < 1/2
The inequality on the right is equivalent to -1/√2 < x < 1/√2.

So ∏(x2) = 1 for x ##\in## (-1/√2, 1/√2).

For ∏(x/√2), ∏(x/√2) = 1 if x/√2 < 1/2.

Edit: I didn't notice that the ∏ function used absolute values.

[STRIKE]This inequality is equivalent to x < 1/√2.
Here ∏(x/√2) = 1 if x ##\in## (-∞, 1/√2).[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
For ∏(x/√2), ∏(x/√2) = 1 if x/√2 < 1/2.
This inequality is equivalent to x < 1/√2.

why don't we put the argument x/√2 in an absolute value and have it
[tex] |\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}|< \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

I am kind of confused now! how do we prove them to be the same?

Sorry, I missed the absolute values in your function definition. What you have is fine.

so that would justify them to be equivalent ? since the absolute value would mean that
[tex] -1/2 < x/\sqrt{2} < 1/2 [/tex]

Thanks Mark, Really appreciate it :)

Related to Rectangular function & Inequalities

1. What is a rectangular function?

A rectangular function, also known as a box function, is a mathematical function that has a constant value over a specified interval, and is equal to zero outside of that interval. It is often used to model discontinuous or step-like functions.

2. How is a rectangular function represented mathematically?

A rectangular function is typically represented as R(x) = {a, if x is between b and c; 0, otherwise}, where a is the constant value, and b and c define the interval over which the function is non-zero.

3. What are some real-life applications of rectangular functions?

Rectangular functions can be used to model a variety of real-world phenomena, such as electrical signals in electronics, pulse waves in physics, and square wave signals in digital communications. They are also commonly used in signal processing and data analysis.

4. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two values or expressions using symbols such as < (less than), > (greater than), ≤ (less than or equal to), or ≥ (greater than or equal to). It indicates that one value is larger or smaller than another.

5. How are inequalities used in conjunction with rectangular functions?

Inequalities are often used to define the boundaries of a rectangular function. For example, in R(x) = {a, if x is between b and c; 0, otherwise}, the inequality b ≤ x ≤ c defines the interval over which the function is non-zero. Inequalities are also used to solve problems involving linear programming, optimization, and systems of equations.