Rectangular finite potential well problem

In summary, an electron enters a finite rectangular potential well of length 4 angstroms. When the entering electrons have a kinetic energy of 0.7 eV they can travel through the region without having any reflection. The coefficient of transmission is the one given by a barrier of potential when the energy of the particle exceed the potential barrier. It is worth T=\frac{1}{1+ \frac{V_0 ^2 \sin (kx)+ D \cos (kx).}{4E(E-V_0)}} where k_1 = \sqrt { \frac{2m(V_0-E)}{\hbar ^2}}. But unfortunately k_1 is
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An electron enters in a finite rectangular potential well of length 4 angstroms. When the entering electrons have a kinetic energy of 0.7 eV they can travel through the region without having any reflection. Use this information to calculate the depth of the potential well.

Homework Equations

Not sure because I don't know if the kinetic energy of the electron is greater or lesser than the potential well.
I know that inside the well, [itex]\Psi _{II}(x)= C \sin (kx)+ D \cos (kx)[/itex]. I also know the form of the wave function outside the well (thanks to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=540406&page=3) but I don't have the normalization, etc. I tried to search in google, wikipedia and hyperphysics and can't find the whole detailed solution.
I was thinking of calculating the flux of probability (I need the exact wavefunctions, normalized) in order to calculate the coefficient of transmission.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused. I don't know how to tackle the problem, too many unknowns to me.
Any tip is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah I think I just realized how to solve the problem.
The electron has a greater kinetic energy that the potential well.
The coefficient of transmission is the one given by a barrier of potential when the energy of the particle exceed the potential barrier.
It is worth [itex]T=\frac{1}{1+ \frac{V_0 ^2 \sin ^2 (k_1 a)}{4E(E-V_0)}}[/itex] where [itex]k_1 = \sqrt { \frac{2m(V_0-E)}{\hbar ^2}}[/itex]. But unfortunately [itex]k_1[/itex] is complex.
So I set T=1 and I try to solve for [itex]V_0[/itex]... but this doesn't go well. This gives me [itex]V_0=0[/itex].
By the way I used the formula given in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectangular_potential_barrier#Analysis_of_the_obtained_expressions.
Does someone understand better than me what's going on?

Hmm, I've watched the first part of and he reaches a slightly different result than wikipedia for the transmission coefficient.
His [itex]k_1[/itex] is worth [itex]\sqrt {\frac{2m (E-V_0)}{\hbar ^2} }[/itex].
So for my exercise, I must solve for [itex]V_0[/itex] and [itex]n=1[/itex] in the expression a [itex]\sqrt {\frac{2m (E-V_0)}{\hbar ^2}}=n \pi[/itex]. I've checked out the units, all seems to work.
When I plug and chug the given values for the problem, I reach that [itex]V_0\approx -1.65 eV[/itex] or [itex]-1.6 eV[/itex] if I round correctly.
Can someone check out my work? That would after all make wikipedia "slightly wrong" for a formula.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Rectangular finite potential well problem

1. What is a rectangular finite potential well problem?

A rectangular finite potential well problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the energy levels and wavefunctions of a particle confined within a potential well with finite boundaries. The potential well is typically represented as a rectangular shape, hence the name.

2. What is the significance of the rectangular finite potential well problem?

The rectangular finite potential well problem is commonly used in quantum mechanics to model various physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials. It helps to understand the behavior of particles within confined spaces and provides insights into the quantization of energy levels.

3. How is the solution to the rectangular finite potential well problem obtained?

The solution to the rectangular finite potential well problem involves solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. By applying boundary conditions at the potential well boundaries, the energy levels and wavefunctions of the particle can be determined.

4. What are the main assumptions made in the rectangular finite potential well problem?

The main assumptions made in the rectangular finite potential well problem include a one-dimensional system, a constant potential within the well, and a particle with a non-zero mass. These assumptions simplify the problem and allow for easier calculations.

5. How does the width and depth of the potential well affect the energy levels?

The width and depth of the potential well have a significant impact on the energy levels of the particle within it. A wider and deeper well will have a larger number of energy levels, while a narrower and shallower well will have fewer energy levels. Additionally, the energy levels will be closer together in a narrower well, leading to a more continuous energy spectrum.