Vertical Asymptotes of x^3/(x^2+3x-10): -5 & 2

• Thread starter ladyrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asymptote
In summary, the conversation discusses finding vertical asymptotes for a given function and the confusion surrounding the sign of the limit as x approaches -5. The expert explains that the limit approaches positive infinity from the right and negative infinity from the left, which can be determined by looking at the signs of the function and graph.
ladyrae
Help!
My problem asks to find the vertical asymptotes of x^3/(x^2+3x-10)

I found –5 & 2 to be vertical asymptotes but what I can’t figure out is
how as x->-5- = -oo and x->-5+ = +oo

I have calculated lim x->-5+ x^3/(x^2+3x-10) = -125/(0)(-5 - -2) = -125/-0 = +oo

But I don’t see –oo lim x->+5+ x^3/(x^2+3x-10) = ?

Can you show me the algebra and how the signs work out to give me –oo

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe?

I think i have it ...

lim x-> -5+ x^3/(x^2+3x-10) = +oo since x^3/(x+5)(x-2) > 0 for x > -5

and lim x->-5- x^3/(x^2+3x-10) = -oo since x^3/(x+5)(x-2) < 0 for x < -5

Didn't look at the actual math, but that's the general idea. You can nomrally if it's going to approach an infinity, then look at the signs to tell whether it would be positive or negative.

Looking at the graph is always (almost) helpful.

What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a line on a graph where the function approaches either positive or negative infinity, but never actually reaches it. It is represented by a dashed line on a graph.

How do you determine the vertical asymptotes of a rational function?

The vertical asymptotes of a rational function can be found by setting the denominator equal to zero and solving for the values of x. These values will be the x-coordinates of the vertical asymptotes.

Why are there two vertical asymptotes for the function x^3/(x^2+3x-10)?

Since the function has a degree of 3 in the numerator and 2 in the denominator, there will be two vertical asymptotes. This is because the numerator will grow at a faster rate than the denominator, causing the function to approach infinity from both sides.

How do you graph a function with vertical asymptotes?

To graph a function with vertical asymptotes, plot the vertical asymptotes as dashed lines on the graph. Then, plot points on either side of the asymptotes to show the behavior of the function as it approaches the asymptotes.

What is the significance of the vertical asymptotes -5 and 2 for the function x^3/(x^2+3x-10)?

The vertical asymptotes -5 and 2 represent the values of x where the function is undefined. This means that the function cannot be evaluated at these points, and they act as boundaries for the graph.