Recovering MS Word 2010 Document

• Thread starter RobertSharp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    word problem
In summary, the conversation is about a person who lost their work on a Microsoft Word document due to a crash and is looking for ways to recover it. They are advised to check the saved drafts folder and given steps to access unsaved files in Office 2010 applications. Sources for further help are also provided.
RobertSharp
Hi,
I'd been working on a MS Word document for 2 hours when Word crashed. When I restarted Word, all of my changes were GONE.
Can anyone tell me how to recover my temporary document? I tried to look at my Windows/Temp folder but I'm on my work computer.

Computer science news on Phys.org
File | Options | Save tells you if Word saves autorecover info. How often and where.

Hello,
You can recover your word file by following simple steps.
Open the Office 2010 applications that you were using.
Click on File tab -> Recent.
Click Recover Unsaved Documents if you are in Word 2010, Recover Unsaved Workbooks if you are in Excel 2010 or Recover Unsaved Presentations if you are in PowerPoint 2010.

Your saved drafts folder will open in a new window. Select the file and then click Open.
In the business bar at the top of the file, click Save As to save your file to your computer.
See if the following article would help also:

Source(s):
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/archive/2012/04/20/how-to-recover-that-un-saved-microsoft-office-excel-word-or-powerpoint-file-you-closed-before-saving.aspx

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/155/t/255386

Likes RobertSharp
Another way to access unsaved file is given below:-
Open the Office 2010 application you were using.
Open a new file or any existing file.
Click the File tab.
Click Info.
Click Manage Versions.
Click Recover Unsaved Documents if you are in Word 2010, Recover Unsaved Workbooks if you are in Excel 2010 or Recover Unsaved Presentations if you are in PowerPoint 2010.
You will see the list of your unsaved files. Select the file and click Open.
In the business bar at the top of the file, click Save As to save your file to your computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes RobertSharp

Related to Recovering MS Word 2010 Document

1. How can I recover a lost MS Word 2010 document?

To recover a lost MS Word 2010 document, you can try using the "AutoRecover" feature. This feature automatically saves your document every few minutes. To access it, go to the "File" tab, click on "Info", then click on "Manage Document" and select "Recover Unsaved Documents". If this doesn't work, you can also try searching for the document in your computer's "Recycle Bin".

2. Can I recover a previous version of my MS Word 2010 document?

Yes, you can recover a previous version of your MS Word 2010 document if you have enabled the "AutoRecover" or "AutoSave" feature. To do this, open the document and go to the "File" tab, click on "Info", then click on "Versions" and select "Recover Unsaved Documents". You can also try using the "Version History" feature in OneDrive if your document is saved there.

3. How do I recover a corrupted MS Word 2010 document?

If your MS Word 2010 document is corrupted, you can try using the "Open and Repair" feature. To do this, open MS Word, go to the "File" tab, click on "Open", select the corrupted document, then click on the arrow next to the "Open" button and select "Open and Repair". If this doesn't work, you can also try using a third-party recovery software.

4. Can I recover an unsaved MS Word 2010 document after a computer crash?

Yes, you can recover an unsaved MS Word 2010 document after a computer crash by using the "AutoRecover" feature. When you open MS Word after a crash, it will prompt you to recover any unsaved documents. You can also try searching for the document in your computer's "Temporary Files" folder.

5. How do I prevent losing my MS Word 2010 documents in the future?

To prevent losing your MS Word 2010 documents in the future, make sure to save your work frequently and enable the "AutoSave" and "AutoRecover" features. You can also consider using cloud storage services like OneDrive to automatically save your documents as you work on them. It's also a good practice to regularly back up your important documents to an external hard drive or online storage.