Reconsidering My Path with Asperger's

• Thread starter FalseVaccum89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary: Doing this will help you get better acquainted with your diagnosis and help you understand others better too. In summary, this person is advising that you explore two different career paths, one in the sciences and one in engineering, to see if they are a good fit for you.
FalseVaccum89
I just found out for sure today that I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I'm wondering how this should inform which career path I should take.

Here are the two paths I see in front of me:

I can either study to become a theoretical physicist (something that's been a dream of mine for a long time) and do research and teach in a university setting. I've been told by a number of people that I'm very good at teaching (at least on a qualitative level) physical concepts, and I love figuring out both how physical systems work and also the mechanics of the mathematics itself.

Or, I can do the more "practical" thing and become an engineer (say, an EE or aerospace). I am also good at diagnosing problems with electrical things and pretty darn good at coming up with new ways of doing things in that area, if I do say so myself.

What I want to know is whether there's someone or someones on PF who know how these two professions affect someone with a social disorder like mine and their thoughts.

To borrow a line I hear on NPR all the time: "I'll take this question off-air."

Thanks!

FV89

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone made a judgement and informed you of this judgement. Are you now somebody who you were not yesterday? You are the same person today who you were yesterday.

What do you WANT to do? What do you believe you would be good at doing? Try to develop yourself in any of the ideas and skills which you believe you could and want.

Hi me again. I'm an Aspie, and honestly, if you've lived your life so far with no issues, then I don't see how the advice given to you in the previous thread changes. What this new information should do for you is give you better insight into why you do certain things and help other people understand too. I make it a point when I meet someone new or work somewhere new to tell people, "hey this is what I got, if I do this just tell me, I lack awareness and I won't be offended if you point it out."

Related to Reconsidering My Path with Asperger's

1. What is the significance of "Reconsidering My Path with Asperger's"?

"Reconsidering My Path with Asperger's" is a personal reflection and exploration of the experiences and challenges faced by individuals with Asperger's Syndrome. It delves into the complexities of this neurodevelopmental disorder and offers insights into how it can impact one's life and path."

2. Is Asperger's Syndrome still a recognized diagnosis?

In 2013, Asperger's Syndrome was officially removed as a separate diagnosis in the DSM-5 and was instead included under the broader category of Autism Spectrum Disorder. However, many individuals still identify with the term "Asperger's" and it is still used in some research and clinical settings.

3. How does having Asperger's impact one's career and education?

Individuals with Asperger's may face challenges in social interactions, communication, and executive functioning, which can impact their performance and success in a traditional school or work setting. However, with accommodations and support, individuals with Asperger's can thrive in their chosen career paths.

4. Can individuals with Asperger's have successful relationships and families?

Yes, individuals with Asperger's can have successful relationships and families. While they may face challenges in social interactions and communication, they can learn and develop strategies to navigate these difficulties and build strong and fulfilling relationships.

5. Is there a cure for Asperger's Syndrome?

Currently, there is no known cure for Asperger's Syndrome. However, with early diagnosis and appropriate interventions and support, individuals with Asperger's can learn and develop skills to manage their symptoms and lead fulfilling lives.