Reconsidering Acceleration and Non-Inertial Frames in Quantum Field Theory

• Thread starter tzimie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frames Qm
In summary, the Unruh effect is a macroscopic effect that originates from the force which accelerates the detector.
tzimie
When a changed body is accelerated in EM field, it is just a macroscopic net effect of multiple interactions of charged particles in that body with the other changed particles outside. When we say "particle accelerator", it is still a simplification, because particle is not being accelerated in a sense like macroscopic body does, we just ignore individual interactions which increase the particle's energy.

So I suspect that QFT shouldn't have a concept of "acceleration" of a particle on a fundamental level (not as an approximation).

So my question is: if an "accelerating particle" (not accelerated particle) is something unphysical, why "non-inertial frames" should be considered something physical? Accelerated frame is a result of macroscopic averaging. Then could weird things like the Unruh effect be just an artifact of asking incorrect questions, like famous "what an observer riding a photon would see"?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Unruh effect is not an artifact of asking an incorrect question because it is possible to have an accelerated detector, whereas it is not possible to have a detector travel at the speed of light.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.0320
Unruh effect without trans-horizon entanglement
Carlo Rovelli, Matteo Smerlak

As had I mentioned earlier, "accelerated detector" is a macroscopic concept. Which means that you must have something different on the fundamental level, like when you try to split "measurement devices" into elementary particles, Copenhagen Interpretation loses any sense, so you have to use decoherence approach.

No, the Copenhagen interpretation allows the detector to be quantum. The Heisenberg cut between macroscopic and quantum realms can be put at different places. Decoherence by itself does not produce any outcomes, and does not solve the "measurement problem", and needs to be considered with an interpretation to make sense.

Tzimie, Unruh effect can be viewed as a macroscopic effect in a macroscopically accelerated measuring apparatus. The acceleration of the macroscopic apparatus turns out to be the cause of decoherence in a "weird" Rindler basis. For more details see
- B.L. Hu, A. Matacz, Phys. Rev. D 49, 6612 (1994).
- J. Audretsch, M. Mensky, R. Muller, Phys. Rev. D 51, 1716 (1995).
- P. Kok, U. Yurtsever, Phys. Rev. D 68, 085006 (2003).

Likes atyy
Demystifier said:
Tzimie, Unruh effect can be viewed as a macroscopic effect in a macroscopically accelerated measuring apparatus.

I have to admit, it is quite smart, because declaring this effect "macroscopic" you get rid of most of problems... but not all...

Below is the correspondence between macroscopic and microscopic worlds:

Macro <-- Micro
Macroscopic body <-- consists of particles
Force <-- QFT
Acceleration as result of force <-- QFT (averaged over many particles)
Unruh effect <-- ?

Or, rephrasing my question (on purpose) in extremely naive manner, "would a single proton in accelerator "see" Unruh radiation"?

So you have to provide microscopic "ingredients" for the Unruh effect (filling my "?") or to claim that effect is emerging on macroscopic level only (like decoherence, for example) - but in such case there are other problems.

tzimie said:
Or, rephrasing my question (on purpose) in extremely naive manner, "would a single proton in accelerator "see" Unruh radiation"?
It would not.

tzimie said:
or to claim that effect is emerging on macroscopic level only (like decoherence, for example) - but in such case there are other problems.
What problems do you have in mind? Are they specific to the Unruh effect, or can they be reduced to the general problem of measurement in QM?

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
What problems do you have in mind? Are they specific to the Unruh effect, or can they be reduced to the general problem of measurement in QM?

There are phenomena which exist on macroscopic level only and which can't be traced back to individual particles. However, in case of Unruh effect we can have a body heated and melted because of intense Unruh radiation, and we should be able to trace this extra energy on microscopic level.

tzimie said:
However, in case of Unruh effect we can have a body heated and melted because of intense Unruh radiation, and we should be able to trace this extra energy on microscopic level.
As you said, there is a body involved, which is a macroscopic concept. Can you rephrase your claim without using any macroscopic concept such as a "body"? (I think you cannot.)

Without a body/detector, there is no any "extra energy" in the Unruh effect, because energy of the Minkowski vacuum (or of any other quantum state) does not depend on acceleration. Indeed, it has been shown that energy responsible for a detectable Unruh effect originates from the force which accelerates the detector:
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9905024

tzimie said:
There are phenomena which exist on macroscopic level only and which can't be traced back to individual particles
The real question is: Is there any phenomenon which does not exist on a macroscopic level only?

For instance, the Copenhagen interpretation maintains that there is no such a phenomenon. As Wheeler said, "No phenomenon is a real phenomenon until it is an observed phenomenon." Or to quote A. Peres, "A quantum system is a useful abstraction, which frequently appears in the literature, but does not really exist in nature. In general, a quantum system is defined by an equivalence class of preparations."

Of course, you do not need to be an adherent of Copenhagen interpretation, but then you must specify which interpretation of QM do you use. Without specifying it, you cannot coherently speak about the relation between micro and macro in QM.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
As you said, there is a body involved, which is a macroscopic concept. Can you rephrase your claim without using any macroscopic concept such as a "body"? (I think you cannot.)

Without a body/detector, there is no any "extra energy" in the Unruh effect, because energy of the Minkowski vacuum (or of any other quantum state) does not depend on acceleration. Indeed, it has been shown that energy responsible for a detectable Unruh effect originates from the force which accelerates the detector:
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9905024

I admit defeat - your explanation is perfect. And getting energy from the force also makes sense (I had suspected that, my intuition is not bad!)
Thank you!

Demystifier said:
The real question is: Is there any phenomenon which does not exist on a macroscopic level only?

For instance, the Copenhagen interpretation maintains that there is no such a phenomenon. As Wheeler said, "No phenomenon is a real phenomenon until it is an observed phenomenon." Or to quote A. Peres, "A quantum system is a useful abstraction, which frequently appears in the literature, but does not really exist in nature. In general, a quantum system is defined by an equivalence class of preparations."

Of course, you do not need to be an adherent of Copenhagen interpretation, but then you must specify which interpretation of QM do you use. Without specifying it, you cannot coherently speak about the relation between micro and macro in QM.

I was trying to stay interpretation-neutral as long as possible (in this topic, not in my mind). Of course, at some point you have to chose one

tzimie said:
I was trying to stay interpretation-neutral as long as possible (in this topic, not in my mind). Of course, at some point you have to chose one
Exactly!

Related to Reconsidering Acceleration and Non-Inertial Frames in Quantum Field Theory

1. What is the principle of equivalence in quantum mechanics and accelerated frames?

The principle of equivalence states that in a small region of spacetime, the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of being in an accelerated frame of reference. This means that the laws of physics in an accelerated frame will be the same as those in a gravitational field.

2. How does general relativity explain the behavior of quantum particles in accelerated frames?

According to general relativity, the curvature of spacetime caused by an accelerated frame affects the motion of quantum particles in the same way that gravity does. This means that the path of a quantum particle in an accelerated frame will be curved, just like the path of a particle in a gravitational field.

3. Can the uncertainty principle be applied in accelerated frames?

Yes, the uncertainty principle still applies in accelerated frames. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. However, the acceleration of an observer in these frames can affect the measurements and introduce additional uncertainties.

4. How is time dilation affected in accelerated frames according to quantum mechanics?

Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time in a frame of reference that is moving at a high velocity or is in a strong gravitational field. In accelerated frames, the laws of quantum mechanics predict that time dilation will occur due to the presence of a gravitational field, just as it does in general relativity.

5. What is the connection between quantum mechanics and the equivalence principle?

The equivalence principle, which states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from those of acceleration, is a key concept in both general relativity and quantum mechanics. This is because both theories describe the behavior of particles in accelerated frames, and the laws of physics in these frames are the same. Thus, the equivalence principle is an important concept that connects these two theories.