Recommended Math self-study book

In summary, the speaker is waiting for admission into an engineering course and wants to strengthen their mathematics fundamentals to avoid any hindrance in their studies. They have decided to do self-study and are looking for books that can teach them up to a high school/A levels level with a focus on understanding concepts through proofs. They are currently going through a book called "Arithmetic for the Practical Man" but are considering switching to the AoPS series. They are seeking advice on which series or text would be best for their needs and have also been recommended to look into MIT OpenCourseWare for additional resources.
Charlescqi
Hi,

I'm currently waiting for admission into an engineering course at a local university,however,it has been a long time since I did any real math and most of the math was taught to us in a "plug & play" manner.

I want to ensure that my mathematics fundamentals are strong enough so that it wouldn't be a significant hindrance for me in engineering and be able to gain a deeper understanding into the subject.
To do that I decided to do some self-study and look for books that can help me do so with the following goals:
•A series of text that teaches me up to the level of (advanced) high school/A levels. I don't mind if some undergraduate level math is included.
•To be able to teach the hows and whys behind the concepts taught,instead of just "plug &chug".(in the forms of proofs and etc.)
•Preferably a text that's clear and concise with ample problems to solve.

At the moment,I'm going through Arithmetic for the practical man (J.E.Thompson). Although,it does prove to be refreshing at time to be no longer taught in a "plug & play" manner,I find it confusing to go through it at times with the large amount of text in it.

As a result,I'm thinking if I should look to another series instead such as the AoPS series (Richard Rusczyk),instead of the Mathematics for the practical man series.

I'm looking for advice if I should switch to another series like the AoPS or any other text that would better suit my needs.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should first start with the classic precalculus subjects: algebra, trig, analytic geometry.

I suggest go with Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus by James Stewart. Also, a bit of probability and statistics won't hurt. Look for these in your local library.

You might also want to look at MIT OpenCourseWare. It contains a number of free courses to suit your needs for your academic preparation. Goodluck!

Related to Recommended Math self-study book

1. What is a "Recommended Math self-study book"?

A "Recommended Math self-study book" is a book that is specifically designed to help individuals learn and improve their understanding of mathematics on their own, without the guidance of a teacher or instructor.

2. Who would benefit from using a "Recommended Math self-study book"?

Anyone who is interested in learning or improving their math skills can benefit from using a "Recommended Math self-study book". These books are particularly useful for individuals who are self-motivated and prefer to learn at their own pace.

3. How do I choose the right "Recommended Math self-study book" for me?

Choosing the right "Recommended Math self-study book" depends on your current level of math knowledge and your specific learning goals. It is important to read reviews and sample chapters to determine if the book aligns with your needs and learning style.

4. Are "Recommended Math self-study books" as effective as taking a math course?

While taking a math course with an instructor may have its own benefits, "Recommended Math self-study books" can be just as effective if you are self-motivated and dedicated to learning. However, it is important to supplement your self-study with practice problems and seeking help from a tutor or mentor if needed.

5. Can I use a "Recommended Math self-study book" to prepare for a standardized test?

Yes, many "Recommended Math self-study books" are designed specifically for test preparation, such as the SAT or ACT. However, it is important to also familiarize yourself with the specific format and requirements of the test you are preparing for.