Recommendations on Elementary Geometry book

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book on elementary geometry to prepare for trigonometry. The poster mentions that the commonly recommended books, Kiselev's Geometry and Euclid's Elements, are not satisfactory. The recommendation given is to try Prentiss-Hall publications book or the free ebook Mathematical Handbook Elementary Mathematics by M Vygodsky. The poster also makes an amendment to their previous statement about Kiselev's Geometry, stating that it is actually the best option.
Psi-yance
Hi! I've been to the math book listings and there is no such book recommendation on elementary geometry, only the classical geometry of the greeks,I need something that will prepare me for trigonometry can I have suggestions on which book I should use?

(Please don't mention Kiselev's Geometry and Euclid's elements for the former is not too clear and comprehensive. It is like I am reading someone's notes. While euclid's elements is quite advanced, and I don't think it is something a high schooler needs.)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Prentiss-Hall publications book, Geometry

Try this free one if you like. Hover over the Ebook button to download it.

I was honestly shocked to read OP's post. Kiselev really is the best Elementary book on the subject, but there are some other good alternatives (that are less commonly used):

As an alternative, I recommend to take a look at:
Mathematical Handbook Elementary Mathematics by M Vygodsky

I must make amends to my statement of Kiselev's Geometry. It is the best of all possible solutions. Anyways, Thanks!

Related to Recommendations on Elementary Geometry book

1. What topics should be covered in an elementary geometry book?

An elementary geometry book should cover basic concepts such as points, lines, angles, triangles, polygons, and circles. It should also include topics like area, perimeter, volume, and basic geometric proofs.

2. Is it important for the book to have visual aids or diagrams?

Yes, visual aids and diagrams are essential in helping students understand geometric concepts. They provide a visual representation of abstract ideas and make it easier for students to grasp the material.

3. What is the appropriate difficulty level for an elementary geometry book?

An elementary geometry book should have a balanced difficulty level. It should not be too easy that it doesn't challenge students, but also not too difficult that it overwhelms them. It should gradually increase in difficulty as students progress through the book.

4. Are there any specific teaching strategies that should be used in an elementary geometry book?

Yes, an effective elementary geometry book should incorporate hands-on activities, problem-solving exercises, and real-life examples to engage students and make learning more interactive. It should also provide opportunities for students to apply their knowledge in practical situations.

5. How can a teacher evaluate the effectiveness of an elementary geometry book?

A teacher can evaluate the effectiveness of an elementary geometry book by assessing students' understanding and performance on geometric concepts taught in the book. They can also gather feedback from students and use it to make improvements to the book for future use.