Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Recommendations for a Massive Algebra Text

Chris11

Mar 20, 2012
Hey. I was wondering if anyone woudl have any good recomendations for large algebra textbooks that cover an enormous amount of material. I would use this book to learn new things, and also as a go to book when I need a quick refrence.

So far, I know of only 2:

Hungerford,

Dummit and Foote.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hey. I was wondering if anyone woudl have any good recomendations for large algebra textbooks that cover an enormous amount of material. I would use this book to learn new things, and also as a go to book when I need a quick refrence.

So far, I know of only 2:

Hungerford,

Dummit and Foote.
Serge Lang's Algebra would be something to add to the collection of massive algebra texts. However, I prefer the two you've already listed.

Swlabr

Feb 21, 2012
Serge Lang's Algebra would be something to add to the collection of massive algebra texts. However, I prefer the two you've already listed.
Talking about Serge Lang, have you ever seen this? Ken Ribet is the guy who proved the connection between Fermat's Last Theorem and elliptical curves.

Also, Huppert wrote an influential book called "finite groups", which spawned two further volumes with him and Blackburn. I haven't managed to find the first volume in English though...but if you are looking for massive texts, these three volumes are pretty hefty!

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Talking about Serge Lang, have you ever seen this? Ken Ribet is the guy who proved the connection between Fermat's Last Theorem and elliptical curves.

Also, Huppert wrote an influential book called "finite groups", which spawned two further volumes with him and Blackburn. I haven't managed to find the first volume in English though...but if you are looking for massive texts, these three volumes are pretty hefty!
If you want to here some stories about Serge Lang, e-mail Dr. Foote. He had an office next him when he was a visiting graduate student. Dr. Foote in class will tell stories about Dr. Lang from time and again. Also, if you think it would be strange just to randomly e-mail Dr. Foote, don't fret. He is extremely nice and a great person. He will e-mail and chat with anyone.