Recommendations for a Massive Algebra Text

In summary, the conversation revolved around the search for a large algebra textbook that covers a vast amount of material. Suggestions were made for Serge Lang's "Algebra" and Huppert's "Finite Groups" volumes, but the two already listed, Hungerford and Dummit and Foote, were preferred. The conversation also mentioned Ken Ribet's connection between Fermat's Last Theorem and elliptical curves, and shared anecdotes about Serge Lang.
Chris11
Hey. I was wondering if anyone woudl have any good recomendations for large algebra textbooks that cover an enormous amount of material. I would use this book to learn new things, and also as a go to book when I need a quick refrence.

So far, I know of only 2:

Hungerford,

Dummit and Foote.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris11 said:
Hey. I was wondering if anyone woudl have any good recomendations for large algebra textbooks that cover an enormous amount of material. I would use this book to learn new things, and also as a go to book when I need a quick refrence.

So far, I know of only 2:

Hungerford,

Dummit and Foote.

Serge Lang's Algebra would be something to add to the collection of massive algebra texts. However, I prefer the two you've already listed.

Chris L T521 said:
Serge Lang's Algebra would be something to add to the collection of massive algebra texts. However, I prefer the two you've already listed.

Talking about Serge Lang, have you ever seen this? Ken Ribet is the guy who proved the connection between Fermat's Last Theorem and elliptical curves.

Also, Huppert wrote an influential book called "finite groups", which spawned two further volumes with him and Blackburn. I haven't managed to find the first volume in English though...but if you are looking for massive texts, these three volumes are pretty hefty!

Swlabr said:
Talking about Serge Lang, have you ever seen this? Ken Ribet is the guy who proved the connection between Fermat's Last Theorem and elliptical curves.

Also, Huppert wrote an influential book called "finite groups", which spawned two further volumes with him and Blackburn. I haven't managed to find the first volume in English though...but if you are looking for massive texts, these three volumes are pretty hefty!

If you want to here some stories about Serge Lang, e-mail Dr. Foote. He had an office next him when he was a visiting graduate student. Dr. Foote in class will tell stories about Dr. Lang from time and again. Also, if you think it would be strange just to randomly e-mail Dr. Foote, don't fret. He is extremely nice and a great person. He will e-mail and chat with anyone.

I would recommend looking into the "Abstract Algebra" textbook by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote. This textbook is known for its comprehensive coverage of algebraic concepts and its clear explanations. It also includes a variety of examples and exercises to practice and reinforce the material. Additionally, it has been praised for its organization and structure, making it easy to use as a reference guide. I would also suggest checking out reviews and ratings from other users to get a better understanding of the book's effectiveness.

Related to Recommendations for a Massive Algebra Text

1. What is the purpose of a massive algebra text?

A massive algebra text is designed to provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of algebra concepts and principles. It aims to help students develop strong algebra skills that can be applied in various fields, such as mathematics, science, engineering, and economics.

2. What topics are typically covered in a massive algebra text?

A massive algebra text usually covers a wide range of topics, including basic algebraic operations, equations and inequalities, functions, graphing, polynomials, exponents and radicals, systems of equations, and logarithms. It may also include more advanced topics such as matrices, conic sections, and sequences and series.

3. Who is a massive algebra text recommended for?

A massive algebra text is recommended for students in high school or college who are studying algebra. It can also be a useful resource for anyone looking to refresh their algebra skills or learn algebra for the first time.

4. How can a massive algebra text be used effectively?

A massive algebra text can be used effectively by following a structured and consistent study plan. It is important to read and understand each concept before moving on to the next one. Practice problems and exercises should also be completed to reinforce understanding and improve problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any additional resources that can be used in conjunction with a massive algebra text?

Yes, there are many additional resources that can be used alongside a massive algebra text, such as online tutorials, practice quizzes, and interactive math games. Working with a tutor or joining a study group can also be helpful in understanding difficult concepts and improving overall comprehension.