Recommend a telescope for a beginner?

In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for a beginner telescope within a budget of $100. It was suggested to attend a star party to try out different scopes and also save up for a better one. Celestron and Orion were mentioned as brands that offer affordable beginner reflectors. A 2x Barlow lens was also recommended for magnification. It was noted that Jupiter and Saturn will only be visible for a limited time, but the telescope can also be used to view the moon, clusters, and nebulae. A six inch, dobsonian mounted Newtonian reflector from Meade or Orion was suggested as a good, budget-friendly option.
Knavish
Slightly off topic, but could any of you recommend a telescope for a beginner? I would love to make this a hobby. I don't want anything too fancy (within a hundred dollars?), just something to inspire me. I have free time this summer.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Before you go buy a cheap scope you should find an astronomy club in your area and go to one of their star parties. At a star party you will be able to look through several scopes and talk to people about their experiences with cheap scopes. You may want to save up for a better scope instead.

Both celestron and Orion make similar beginner's reflectors for about $130: http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=5135&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=

You'll also want a 2x Barlow lens to double the magnification for planetary viewing.

Jupiter is only up for about another two months and Saturn one month before going behind the sun - then you'll need to wait until winter to see either. You will, of course, be able to view the moon with it, and there are a number of clusters and nebulae that are viewable with it.

Knavish said:
Slightly off topic, but could any of you recommend a telescope for a beginner? I would love to make this a hobby. I don't want anything too fancy (within a hundred dollars?), just something to inspire me. I have free time this summer.
I would recommend a six (or larger possibly, depending on your budget, but not smaller) inch, dobsonian mounted Newtonian reflector, from either Meade or Orion. Its about as inexpensive as you'll get for what is still a very good scope (in large part because of the mount). About $300 or so.

Related to Recommend a telescope for a beginner?

What factors should I consider when choosing a telescope for a beginner?

There are a few important factors to consider when choosing a telescope for a beginner. First, consider the aperture size, which determines the amount of light the telescope can gather and how much detail you will see. Next, consider the type of mount, such as an alt-azimuth or equatorial mount, which affects how the telescope moves and tracks objects in the sky. Also, think about the portability and weight of the telescope, as well as any additional features like computerized controls or accessories.

What is a good aperture size for a beginner's telescope?

A good aperture size for a beginner's telescope is typically between 60mm and 80mm. This size allows for enough light gathering power to see a variety of objects in the sky, without being too overwhelming or difficult to use.

Should I choose a refractor or reflector telescope for a beginner?

Both refractor and reflector telescopes can be good choices for beginners. Reflectors tend to have larger apertures for a lower cost, making them ideal for viewing faint objects like galaxies and nebulae. Refractors are typically more compact and have a lower maintenance requirement, making them a good choice for those looking for a simpler setup.

How important is the mount when choosing a beginner's telescope?

The mount is an important aspect to consider when choosing a beginner's telescope. A steady and stable mount can greatly improve the viewing experience, as it allows for smoother movements and easier tracking of objects in the sky. It's worth investing in a good mount, even if it means sacrificing some aperture size.

What is a good budget for a beginner's telescope?

The budget for a beginner's telescope can vary greatly depending on individual preferences and needs. However, a good starting point is around $200-$500. This range allows for a decent quality telescope with enough features to provide a fulfilling viewing experience. It's important to keep in mind that investing in a good telescope can lead to a lifetime of enjoyment and learning, so it's worth considering a slightly higher budget if possible.