Recommedation for Classical Mechanics book

In summary, the conversation is about a competition in classical mechanics and the need for a good book to prepare. The competition covers kinematics, dynamics, law of conservation of energy, Newton's gravity, fluid statics, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics. The individual is looking for a book with lots of solved examples and has already gone through three such books. They are now looking for a slightly harder book and are preparing for a competition.
Spacebender
There will be a competition in classical mechanics and I need a good book to prepare. The competiton was also held last year and i ended up thir, so I dear to say that I know classical mechanics very well. The competition will include kinematics, dynamics, law of conservation of energy, Newton's gravity, fluid statics, fluid dynamics and thermodynamics. I don't need a textbook with explained principles, I just need a book with lot of solved examples. I already went through three such books and I want another one, possibly a little harder. Thanks in advance :D.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What level of physics are you preparing for?

Related to Recommedation for Classical Mechanics book

1. What key concepts should I look for in a classical mechanics book?

A good classical mechanics book should cover foundational topics such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and harmonic motion. It should also include more advanced topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

2. Is it important for a classical mechanics book to have real-world examples and applications?

Yes, real-world examples and applications are crucial in understanding and applying the principles of classical mechanics. Look for a book that includes a variety of examples and problems from different fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

3. Should I prioritize mathematical rigor or conceptual understanding in a classical mechanics book?

A balance of both mathematical rigor and conceptual understanding is important in a classical mechanics book. Make sure the book provides clear explanations of the concepts and equations, and also includes practice problems that test your understanding of both.

4. Are there any specific authors or editions of classical mechanics books that are highly recommended?

Some popular authors in the field of classical mechanics include Goldstein, Taylor, and Marion. It is also recommended to look for the latest edition of a book, as it may include updates and improvements.

5. Can I learn classical mechanics from online resources or do I need a physical book?

While there are many online resources available for learning classical mechanics, having a physical book can provide a more organized and comprehensive understanding of the subject. It is recommended to use a combination of both online resources and a physical book for optimal learning.