Recomended differential topology books

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a clear book on differential topology that also emphasizes the intuitive aspect. They receive recommendations for two books, "Topology from a Differentiable Viewpoint" by Hedi Milnor and "Differential Topology" by Guillemin and Pollack. It is noted that Milnor's book is written by a master, but may be better understood with a background in manifold theory and real analysis. It is suggested to also read Milnor's book on Morse theory for a more meaningful understanding.
hedipaldi
Hi,
I want to study differential topology by myself,
and i am looking for a clear book that emphesizes also the intuitive aspect.
I will be grateful to get some recommendations.
Thank's
Hedi

Physics news on Phys.org
Milnor, Topology from a differentiable viewpoint. Guillemin and Pollack, Differential Topology.

agreed. the milnor book is by the master, and the gp book is written for advanced undergrads.

Milnor's book indeed. As with all of Milnor's books the proofs are deceptively simple. Watch out.

Thank's a lot
Hedi

Milnor's book is good but I think you will get more out of his expositions if you have a background in manifold theory and real analysis. You may compose reading differential topology with milnor's morse theory book for instance and then it will be much more meaningful I think.

Thank's

Related to Recomended differential topology books

1. What is Differential Topology?

Differential topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of smooth manifolds and mappings between them. It is concerned with the study of differentiable functions on manifolds, and their geometric and topological properties.

2. Why is Differential Topology important?

Differential topology has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of mathematics. It is used in fields such as fluid dynamics, computer graphics, and robotics. It also has important connections to other branches of mathematics, such as algebraic topology and differential geometry.

3. What are some recommended books for learning Differential Topology?

Some highly recommended books for learning Differential Topology include "Differential Topology" by Guillemin and Pollack, "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by Lee, and "Topology from the Differential Viewpoint" by Milnor.

4. What background knowledge is needed to understand Differential Topology?

A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and basic topology is necessary to understand Differential Topology. Familiarity with concepts such as differentiability, continuity, and manifolds is also helpful.

5. Are there any online resources for learning Differential Topology?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning Differential Topology. Some popular options include lecture notes and video lectures from universities, online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, and interactive tutorials and exercises on websites such as Khan Academy and Brilliant.