Received power for free space optics

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the received power for free space optic (FSO) using various equations and variables such as system loss, transmitted power, receiver diameter, divergence angle, etc. The speaker is having trouble understanding why they are getting an illogical value for the received power and asks for clarification on the applicable range of input variables. Another person expresses their confusion with the method used for the calculation and mentions a simpler formula used in microwave engineering.
Nur Ziadah
Hello everyone,

I have calculated the received power for free space optic (FSO) using the equation:
upload_2019-1-6_16-35-28.png

Lsystem (system loss) is set to 8dB. PTotal can be calculated as:
upload_2019-1-6_16-36-9.png

where Ntx (number of receiver) = 1 and PTx (transmitted power) =7.78 dBm. LGeo can be calculated as:
upload_2019-1-6_16-44-0.png

upload_2019-1-6_16-44-21.png

where d2R (receiver diameter) = 0.07, l=1, θ (divergence angle) =0.05 and Nr (number of receiver) =1.

The problem is, I got received power=10.72 dBm which is illogical value. As I know, the received power must be lower than transmitted power.
I hope that anyone may help me to understand this situation.
For your information, I refer this paper for the calculation: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6015903
Thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-6_16-35-28.png
    upload_2019-1-6_16-35-28.png
    898 bytes · Views: 627
  • upload_2019-1-6_16-36-9.png
    upload_2019-1-6_16-36-9.png
    1 KB · Views: 643
  • upload_2019-1-6_16-36-56.png
    upload_2019-1-6_16-36-56.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 330
  • upload_2019-1-6_16-44-0.png
    upload_2019-1-6_16-44-0.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 434
  • upload_2019-1-6_16-44-21.png
    upload_2019-1-6_16-44-21.png
    1 KB · Views: 421
Science news on Phys.org
You have above the θl<d2R, which is outside of the formula applicability range.
Your beam is not illuminating the entire receiver area, therefore the error.

Likes tech99
trurle said:
What is the applicable range?

Nur Ziadah said:
What is the applicable range?
Range (all values) of input variables producing a valid output.

You mean that θl must greater than d2R in order to produce a valid output?

Likes tech99 and trurle
trurle said:
I am find that optical engineers seem to re-invent the wheel all the time; we have the simple Friis formula for microwave. This uses Ptx, Prx, antenna gains and path loss. The method used above seems very unclear to me. But I am impressed that you noticed that we do not have far field conditions.

Related to Received power for free space optics

1. What is received power for free space optics?

Received power for free space optics is the amount of optical power that is received at the detector after being transmitted through free space. It is an important parameter for determining the performance of a free space optical communication system.

2. How is received power for free space optics calculated?

Received power for free space optics is calculated using the formula: PR = PT * (A / (4πd2)), where PR is the received power, PT is the transmitted power, A is the effective aperture area of the receiving antenna, and d is the distance between the transmitter and receiver.

3. What factors affect received power for free space optics?

The main factors that affect received power for free space optics include the distance between the transmitter and receiver, atmospheric conditions (such as fog, rain, and turbulence), the size and orientation of the receiving antenna, and any obstacles or obstructions in the path of the transmission.

4. How does received power for free space optics impact system performance?

The amount of received power for free space optics directly affects the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of the system. A higher received power results in a higher SNR, which leads to better system performance in terms of data transmission rate, error rate, and overall reliability.

5. What are some methods for improving received power for free space optics?

To improve received power for free space optics, one can use higher power transmitters, larger effective aperture antennas, and optical amplifiers. Additionally, optimizing the alignment and orientation of the transmitter and receiver, as well as minimizing obstacles in the transmission path, can also help improve the received power.