Questions about roller coaster physics

In summary, a roller coaster works on conservation of energy, converting potential energy into kinetic energy at the bottom of hills and back into potential energy at the top. The more detailed questions would be better suited for an engineering context.
Matt Jacques
Hello, I'v lately been intrigued by roller coasters as of late (notice my prior post about that app)

I havnt been able to find any good websites to explain the physics of roller coasters in detail. I know of-coarse that it works on conservation of energy, that the initial potential energy is converted into kinetic at the bottom of hills and back into potential at tops. But there has got to be more, how does change in the direction (z-plane?) change the physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think [tex]m\vec{a}=\sum_i \vec{F}_i[/tex] pretty much sums it all up. It's just classical mechanics: write down all the forces and plug it into Newton.

Originally posted by Matt Jacques
But there has got to be more, how does change in the direction (z-plane?) change the physics?
If you mean the g-forces, It really doesn't. The only thing that affects is friction, which is pretty low anyway (wind is probably the biggest component). So except for friction loss, you can use conservation of energy to calculate the speed of a roller coaster anywhere on the track.

In the limit of negligible friction, a roller coaster is quite classical. The more detailed questions would be better adressed in an engineering context than a physics context: i.e. what's the best way to get the thing started, where should we put the twists and turns, how often do we need to include repeaters and where...

This is the basic equation to go from a top of a hill to a bottom.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 - f \Delta S = mgh[/tex]

But how would one find the velocity around a loop? It's late and my mind is weak. ;)

Last edited:
The velocity of the cart at any distance h below its starting height is

[tex]\sqrt{2 g h}[/tex]

- Warren

I have a research paper on the the physics behind roller coasters. Can you direct me to any library resources? What level of math would one need to accomplish the construction? How does math created a stable ride?

1. What is the force that keeps a roller coaster on its track?

The force that keeps a roller coaster on its track is called centripetal force. This force is directed towards the center of the circular motion and is what keeps the roller coaster moving in a curved path.

2. How does the height of a roller coaster affect its speed?

The height of a roller coaster affects its speed through the principle of conservation of energy. As the roller coaster climbs to a higher point, it gains potential energy. As it descends, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the roller coaster to move faster.

3. How do engineers design roller coasters to ensure a safe and thrilling ride?

Engineers use physics principles such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of conservation of energy to design roller coasters that are both safe and thrilling. They also conduct extensive testing and simulations to ensure the coaster can withstand various forces and maintain its structural integrity.

4. What is the role of friction in roller coaster physics?

Friction plays a critical role in roller coaster physics. It helps to slow down the train and control its speed, as well as provide the necessary traction for the train to maintain contact with the track. However, too much friction can also reduce the speed and thrill of the ride.

5. How do different types of roller coasters produce different sensations?

Different types of roller coasters produce different sensations through various design elements such as track layout, train design, and the use of special features like inversions or drops. These elements can affect the forces experienced by riders and create unique sensations of weightlessness, acceleration, and g-forces.