Reboot Routers Now: FBI Warns of VPNFilter Malware

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
In summary, there has been a recent warning from the FBI for everyone to reboot their routers due to a potential malware infection. This includes changing passwords for security systems like Arlo wireless cameras. Some users have already taken precautions such as rebooting their DSL modem, updating firmware, and changing passwords. It is recommended to keep an eye on firmware updates for further protection.
Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks I saw that warning too.

Another one was to change your passwords on your Arlo wireless camera security system as the passwords may have been compromised.

After seeing the warning on a couple of national TV news programs, this morning I (1) rebooted my DSL modem which also serves as my router, (2) downloaded and installed the latest firmware for it, and (3) changed the password. I should probably keep an eye on the firmware web page to see if a new version appears. The one I installed was from February.

Likes jedishrfu
Does this apply to connections where the broadband line directly enters the LAN card in the CPU?

Related to Reboot Routers Now: FBI Warns of VPNFilter Malware

1. What is the "Reboot Routers Now" warning from the FBI?

The "Reboot Routers Now" warning from the FBI is a notification to internet users about a malware called VPNFilter that has infected hundreds of thousands of routers worldwide. The FBI is urging users to reboot their routers in order to disrupt the malware and protect their devices from potential attacks.

2. How does VPNFilter malware work?

VPNFilter malware is a sophisticated form of malware that is capable of collecting information, blocking network traffic, and even bricking a device (rendering it completely unusable). It works by infecting routers and other network devices, allowing the attackers to remotely control and manipulate the device for their malicious purposes.

3. What types of devices are vulnerable to VPNFilter malware?

VPNFilter malware primarily targets small and home office routers, but it is also capable of infecting other network devices such as switches and network attached storage (NAS) devices. The FBI has urged all owners of small and home office routers to reboot their devices, regardless of the make or model, as a precautionary measure.

4. How can I protect my device from VPNFilter malware?

The FBI recommends taking the following steps to protect your device from VPNFilter malware:

• Reboot your router to disrupt the malware.
  • Update the firmware of your router to the latest version.
  • Change the default login credentials of your router.
  • Disable remote management settings on your router.
  • Make sure your router is behind a firewall.
  • Regularly back up your router's configuration settings.

5. What should I do if my device is infected with VPNFilter malware?

If your device is already infected with VPNFilter malware, the FBI advises that you reset the device to factory settings and change all login credentials. You should also perform a software update and disable remote management settings. If the malware persists, you should contact your device manufacturer for further assistance.