Reason for Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros

• I
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Reason
In summary, the Zeta function exhibits a tendency known as Gram's Law, where its real part tends to be positive. This law also applies on the critical line, where the real part is mostly positive while the imaginary part fluctuates rapidly. Additionally, there is a formula that relates the values of Zeta at certain points, and the autocorrelation function of Zeta has been plotted using an approximate formula. The "W" in the formula refers to the Lambert W function, which is used to approximate the inverse of the function theta(t).
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I suppose you could phrase Gram's law as the statement that ##\Re(\zeta(\frac{1}{2}+it))## tends to be positive, or that ##Z(t)## is somehow positively correlated with ##\cos\theta(t)##. Although Gram's law only applies when ##\zeta(\frac{1}{2}+it)## is real, it seems to hold elsewhere on the critical line as well. The plot of ##\Re(\zeta(\frac{1}{2}+it))## is mostly positive, whereas the imaginary part appears to fluctuate rapidly:

WolframAlpha--__0_70_cos_RiemannSiegelTheta_x___RiemannSiegelZ_x__dx______2021_01_04_15_23.gif
WolframAlpha--__0_70_cos_RiemannSiegelTheta_x__pi_0_5__RiemannSiegelZ_x__dx______2021_01_04_15...gif

In particular, ##\int_0^T\cos\theta(t)\cdot Z(t)\,dt## is positive and large, while ##\int_0^T\sin\theta(t)\cdot Z(t)\,dt## is relatively small and might be positive or negative.

Actually, apparently there is a formula ##\sum_{n\leq N} Z(g_{n-1})Z(g_n) \sim -2(\gamma + 1)N##, which I found a few pages into this paper. I plotted the autocorrelation function of ##Z(g_n)## (integrating from 0 to 100,000) using the approximate formula ##g_n=2\pi e^{1+W(\frac{8n+1}{8e})}##:

Normalized plot of ##f(\tau)=\int_0^{10^5} Z(g(t))Z(g(t+\tau))\,dt##:
1609803405320.png

I don't really have a full understanding of what I'm doing, but this is all very intriguing to me.

Likes Swamp Thing
Thank you.. I'm reading now on a mobile device but I'll probably get back later with a question or two.

suremarc said:
I plotted the autocorrelation function of ##Z(g_n)## (integrating from 0 to 100,000) using the approximate formula ##g_n=2\pi e^{1+W(\frac{8n+1}{8e})}##:

What is the "W" in this formula?

Swamp Thing said:
What is the "W" in this formula?
That's the Lambert W function. Nothing special, it's just there since ##\theta(t)\sim \frac{t}{2}\log\frac{t}{2\pi}## for ##t## large, and so its inverse function can be approximated using W.

Related to Reason for Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros

1. What is Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros?

Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros, also known as the Gram's Law of Zeta Function, states that the non-trivial zeros of the Riemann Zeta function are symmetric about the critical line with real part equal to 1/2. In other words, if a complex number is a zero of the Zeta function, then its complex conjugate is also a zero.

2. Who discovered Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros?

Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros was discovered by the Danish mathematician Jørgen Pedersen Gram in 1903. He was studying the distribution of the zeros of the Riemann Zeta function and found this important property.

3. What is the significance of Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros?

Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros is significant because it provides important insights into the behavior of the Riemann Zeta function and its zeros. It also has applications in number theory, specifically in the study of prime numbers and their distribution.

4. Is Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros proven?

Yes, Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros has been proven by several mathematicians, including Hadamard and de la Vallée Poussin in 1896, and later by von Koch in 1901. It is considered to be one of the most important theorems in number theory.

5. What are the implications of Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros?

Gram's Law about Zeta Zeros has several implications, including the fact that it can be used to prove the Prime Number Theorem, which states that the number of prime numbers less than a given number x is approximately x/ln(x). It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as the theory of modular forms and the theory of elliptic curves.