Rearranging the Projectile Motion Base Quadratic Formula for Initial Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging the formula -16t^2+Vt+h and solving it for V. The participants also share their attempts at solving the equation and receive feedback on their solution. The final solution is V= (-h + 16t^2)/t.
Pearlhammer

Homework Statement

What I'm supposed to do is to rearrange the this formula -16t^2+Vt+h and solve it for V.
V= Initial Velocity t= time (throwing the ball in a parabolic arc) h= height
I know what the height is and it is 6ft. I also have the time which is 2.03 seconds.
How do I rearrange for V? I got an answer but I'm not sure and doubting if it is correct.

Homework Equations

-16t^2+Vt+h

-16t^2+Vt+6 (if you plug in the height.)

The Attempt at a Solution

-16t^2+Vt+6 What I started with

-16t^2+Vt= -6 Subtracted 6 to the other side

Vt= -6+16t^2 Added -16t^2 to both sides.

V= (-6/t)+16t Divided both sides (every term) by t. This is my answer so far.

I have no idea if I'm correct or not and I have the feeling I'm not. Please help, I'm in US grade 9.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that meant to be the physics equation for motion:

[tex]h=Vt+1/2gt^2[/tex] ?

So then re-arranging you have [tex]-1/2gt^2-Vt+h=0[/tex]

It doesn't seem to be consistent with what you started with. But if we assume you started with teh correct equation, yes, you've done it right.

Thank you. What I was talking about was just simply if I had the correct answer for:
Taking -16t^2+Vt+h
and rearranging for V to be by itself on one side of the equation.

-16t^2+Vt+h = 0
-16t^2+Vt = -h
Vt = -h + 16t^2
V = (-h + 16t^2)/t

your right op, but my way is better

Thank you very much guys!

ktgster said:
your right op, but my way is better

How is your way better? It's exactly the same...

Related to Rearranging the Projectile Motion Base Quadratic Formula for Initial Velocity

1. What is the projectile motion base quadratic formula?

The projectile motion base quadratic formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the initial velocity of a projectile. It takes into account the distance traveled, acceleration due to gravity, and the angle of launch.

2. Why is it necessary to rearrange the formula for initial velocity?

Rearranging the formula for initial velocity allows us to solve for this variable, which is often unknown in real-world scenarios. It also allows us to manipulate the equation to solve for other variables, such as time or angle of launch.

3. How do you rearrange the formula for initial velocity?

To rearrange the formula for initial velocity, we first isolate the initial velocity term on one side of the equation. This can be done by dividing both sides by the other variables in the equation. We then take the square root of both sides to solve for the initial velocity.

4. What are the units for initial velocity in the rearranged formula?

The units for initial velocity in the rearranged formula will depend on the units used for the other variables in the equation. Generally, the units will be meters per second (m/s).

5. How accurate is the rearranged formula for calculating initial velocity?

The rearranged formula is a simplified version of the full projectile motion equation and may not account for all factors that can affect the initial velocity of a projectile. It is a good estimate but may not be entirely accurate in all scenarios.