Rearranging Equation for Thermodynamics Question

In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve for V2^2, the exit velocity of steam, using the Q loss equation. The steps involved include removing parentheses by multiplying everything inside them by m, moving everything that does not have V2 to the other side and changing signs at the same time, and finally multiplying and dividing by what is needed to isolate V2. It is also mentioned that LaTeX syntax can be used to render the mathematics more professionally.
AbbeyC172

Homework Statement

I am trying to figure out how to get the V2^2 alone and I feel that this is very basic rearranging of equations but I have been stuck on it forever now. Thank you so much in advance.

-75 kj/s= 4.09 kg/s (-190.3 + (V2)^2 - (60 m/s)^2 / 2)
[/B]

Homework Equations

Trying to solve for V2^2 the exit velocity of steam using:

Q loss = m(h2-h1+ V2^2-V1^2 / 2)[/B]

Is there a better way to write this fraction out? I do not see fraction capability in the insert symbols option.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have subtracted -75 kj/s from both sides and then get stuck on how to get that V2^2 to the left side. [/B]

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-20_12-32-4.gif
    upload_2018-2-20_12-32-4.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 502
  • upload_2018-2-20_12-35-30.gif
    upload_2018-2-20_12-35-30.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
First remove the parentheses by multiplying everything inside them by ##m##. Then move everything that does not have V2 to the other side and change signs at the same time. Finally multliply and divide by what's needed to isolate V2.

AbbeyC172 said:
Q loss = m(h2-h1+ V2^2-V1^2 / 2)Is there a better way to write this fraction out? I do not see fraction capability in the insert symbols option.
You can use LaTeX syntax to render the mathematics more "professionally" as it might appear in a book. See the LaTeX link at the bottom left of the edit window.

In your formula above, is it only the V1^2 term that is divided by two, or is it supposed to be (V2^2 - V1^2)/2 ?

gneill said:
You can use LaTeX syntax to render the mathematics more "professionally" as it might appear in a book. See the LaTeX link at the bottom left of the edit window.

In your formula above, is it only the V1^2 term that is divided by two, or is it supposed to be (V2^2 - V1^2)/2 ?
It is the latter, (V2^2 - V1^2)/2

Related to Rearranging Equation for Thermodynamics Question

1. What is the purpose of rearranging equations in thermodynamics?

Rearranging equations in thermodynamics allows for easier analysis and prediction of changes in a system's energy and properties. It also helps in solving for unknown variables and simplifying complex equations.

2. How do you rearrange equations in thermodynamics?

To rearrange equations in thermodynamics, you must follow the order of operations and manipulate the equation using mathematical rules such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing both sides of the equation by the same value.

3. What are the common variables used in rearranging equations in thermodynamics?

The most common variables used in rearranging equations in thermodynamics are energy (E), internal energy (U), temperature (T), heat (Q), and work (W).

4. Is it necessary to rearrange equations in thermodynamics?

In some cases, rearranging equations in thermodynamics is necessary to solve for unknown variables or simplify complex equations. However, for simpler equations, rearranging may not be necessary.

5. What are some tips for effectively rearranging equations in thermodynamics?

Some tips for effectively rearranging equations in thermodynamics include clearly defining the known variables and what you are solving for, using the correct mathematical rules, and double-checking your work for accuracy.