Rearranging acceleration formulas

In summary, the conversation is about finding the initial speed, u/si, given the values a=1.8m/s/s, v/sf=7.6m/s, and t=2.5s using the equation a=v-u/t. The symbols v/sf and u/si represent the final and initial speed respectively, and the conversation also touches on the unconventional notation used in the problem. The rearranged equation v=at+u is used to solve for the final velocity.
lornf

Homework Statement

a=1.8m/s/s
v/sf=7.6m/s
u/si=?
t=2.5s

Find the initial speed[/B]

Homework Equations

a=v-u/t

The Attempt at a Solution

a=v-u/t
1.8=7.6-u/2.5
u=7.6+1.8/2.8
u=3.357...
u=3.36m/s

Is this correct? Sorry if the layout is messy this is my first time using it.

Physics news on Phys.org
lornf said:
v/sf=7.6m/s
u/si=?
Can you explain in plain English what these are?

kuruman said:
Can you explain in plain English what these are?
v/sf is the final speed and u/si is the initial speed. Sorry our school teaches them in unconventional ways.

lornf said:
a=v-u/t

That's not dimensionally correct. ##v## does not have the same units as ##a## or ##u/t##. You might want to take a look at your motion equations again.

lornf said:
v/sf is the final speed and u/si is the initial speed. Sorry our school teaches them in unconventional ways.
It's OK, as long as we both understand what the symbols stand for. In your notation, the acceleration is $$a=\frac{v/sf-u/si}{t}$$ Can you solve this equation for ##v/sf##?

kuruman said:
It's OK, as long as we both understand what the symbols stand for. In your notation, the acceleration is $$a=\frac{v/sf-u/si}{t}$$ Can you solve this equation for ##v/sf##?
Well without values, to rearrange the equation it would be -
a=v-u/t
v-u=at (a x t)
v=at+u

Is this what you mean? Did you want me to rearrange?

That's what I mean, but why did you change your symbols? I thought you said the final velocity is v/sf and the initial velocity u/si. In any case, now that you have the final velocity on the left and the given quantities on the right, you can put in the numbers.

Ah sorry you've misunderstood one of my replies but it's fine since I understand now, thank you!

I think I understand now. The "/sf" part is like a subscript and stands for "speed final". Similarly "/si" stands for "speed initial." The problem with this notation is that the slash "/" more commonly denotes division which is what @Eclair_de_XII 's reply was most likely based on.

Yes, I thought this was where the confusion was. Sorry for not explaining properly but again thanks for the help!

Related to Rearranging acceleration formulas

What is the purpose of rearranging acceleration formulas?

The purpose of rearranging acceleration formulas is to solve for a specific variable in the equation. This allows scientists to manipulate the equation to fit their specific needs and better understand the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and displacement.

What are the most commonly used acceleration formulas?

The most commonly used acceleration formulas are:
- Acceleration = Change in Velocity / Time
- Acceleration = Net Force / Mass
- Acceleration = 2 (Change in Displacement) / Time2
- Acceleration = Final Velocity2 - Initial Velocity2 / 2(Change in Displacement)

How do you rearrange acceleration formulas?

To rearrange an acceleration formula, you must isolate the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is important to follow the rules of algebra to ensure the equation remains balanced.

What is the importance of rearranging acceleration formulas in scientific research?

Rearranging acceleration formulas is crucial in scientific research because it allows scientists to analyze and interpret data more accurately. By isolating specific variables and manipulating the equation, scientists can make predictions, identify patterns, and draw conclusions about the relationship between acceleration and other physical quantities.

Are there any limitations to rearranging acceleration formulas?

While rearranging acceleration formulas is a useful tool in scientific research, there are some limitations to consider. For example, the formulas may not accurately represent all real-world scenarios, and there may be external factors that can affect the results. Additionally, rearranging the formulas may lead to errors if not done carefully and accurately.