Really? Schrödinger's cat again?

In summary, the conversation discusses a new physics hypothesis regarding the misleading and potentially incorrect nature of information about quantum cats. The speakers also touch on research regarding quantum jumps and radioactive decay, and the advancements in monitoring the state of a QuBit. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the statistical behavior of qubits and the difference from classical thinking. The conversation also provides links to scientific papers for further understanding of the research.
DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a new Physics hypothesis (ok, really Journalism, I guess): Whenever you read anything the features that damn cat, it will be at least misleading, maybe wrong. The worst way to learn about QM is to start by listening to someone talking about quantum cats, it's practically a guarantee that they don't know what they are talking about.

The research is cool, for reasons that are completely missed by the journalists.

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-think-they-ve-figured-out-a-way-to-save-schroedinger-s-cat

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum jumps and radioactive decay are 2 different things. I do not yet know what this experiment has in common with the cat. They should show how they undecay an atom.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, since y'all know more QM than I. Plus, I didn't read the paper. What I think they show is:

1) They have a method of detecting that a jump has occurred, or is very likely to occur, sooner that the way other people normally detect it. I suspect the jump has already happened (started?) in both cases, they just know sooner.

2) If you know the initial state of your system (QuBit, in this case). You can build a machine to reinitialize it when you want to. Really creating a new initialized system. Alternatively, if you expand your system definition from the QuBit to the whole experiment, then they've built a really complex system that exhibits the quantum jump in ways other than the before/after state of the QuBit, like the big pulse of radiation to reset things.

So the good part of the research is they have advanced the ability to monitor the state of their QuBit. No cats required.

So my question is, in a real computer, how do you know when to stop the decoherence? Which jumps are noise and which jumps are signal. Is this just a classical memory bit that has a known state and only changes when you make it change?

I think this is more of a statistical issue. Normally when running Quantum Computer algorithms, you set up the machine state, execute the algorithm steps and then read the result.

You don't do this once you do it many times and the answer pops out statistically as the most likely value.

Basically, you have to throw out any notion of classical thinking here qubits are not bits. Over some time period, they statistically behave like bits but not so at any given instant.

DaveE said:
I have a new Physics hypothesis (ok, really Journalism, I guess): Whenever you read anything the features that damn cat, it will be at least misleading, maybe wrong.
Hypothesis? I think you have just identified another law of nature.:smile:

• Haha
Likes bhobba, vanhees71 and DaveE
Likes bhobba and DaveE

Related to Really? Schrödinger's cat again?

1. What is Schrödinger's cat thought experiment?

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935. It is a paradox that illustrates the principles of quantum mechanics and the concept of superposition. In the experiment, a cat is placed in a sealed box with a radioactive substance and a poison. According to quantum mechanics, the cat is both alive and dead until the box is opened and the state is observed.

2. Why is Schrödinger's cat important in quantum mechanics?

Schrödinger's cat thought experiment is important in quantum mechanics because it highlights the strange and counterintuitive nature of the quantum world. It challenges our understanding of reality and raises questions about the role of observation and measurement in determining the state of a system.

3. Is Schrödinger's cat experiment possible in real life?

No, Schrödinger's cat experiment is not possible in real life. It is a theoretical concept used to explain the principles of quantum mechanics. The experiment is designed to illustrate the absurdity of the superposition principle and does not reflect the actual behavior of particles on a macroscopic scale.

4. What is the significance of Schrödinger's cat in popular culture?

Schrödinger's cat has become a popular cultural reference and is often used in movies, TV shows, and books to represent the concept of uncertainty or being in two states at once. It has also been used to illustrate the concept of parallel universes and alternate realities.

5. How does Schrödinger's cat relate to the concept of determinism?

Schrödinger's cat challenges the concept of determinism, which states that all events are predetermined and have a single outcome. The experiment suggests that the state of a system is not determined until it is observed, and until then, it exists in multiple states simultaneously. This challenges the idea of a predictable and deterministic universe.