Really odd problem in geometry?

• Thread starter Frogeyedpeas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, according to the diagram, the angle between two arcs is θ, which is in the zy plane. The angle between a circle and a straight line is also in the zy plane.
Frogeyedpeas
I'm not sure why but I can't seem to figure this problem out at all...

You have a slice of a banked circular track... Find the angle theta. See attachment,

My first guess was to use the pythagorean theorem + the fact that the two lengths are both equal to angle/360* 2 * pi * r where r is different for both lengths but is related by pythagorean theorem however that has been inconclusive

The ratio of the lengths has not been helpful either.

Attachments

• ff.bmp
    186.6 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that there is missing data; either the smaller radius or the pie's angle.

Dodo said:
It seems to me that there is missing data; either the smaller radius or the pie's angle.

i think dodo's right there is something missing...either angle of curvature or radius

You don't think that diagram is meant to represent one quadrant of the circular track?

nah my teacher has told me that's all I need... idk I'm just going to ask him to walk me through it becuz i really don't see it

let me tell you why we actually need more data...

first let's collect all the data given...

[itex]Arc_b = 97[/itex]
[itex]Arc_s = 74[/itex]
[itex]Height = 12[/itex]

So to get the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] we need to use anyone of the trig ratios:

[itex]tan\theta = \frac{height}{base}[/itex] , [itex]sin\theta = \frac{height}{hypotenuse}[/itex] or [itex]cos\theta = \frac{base}{hypotenuse}[/itex]

[flatten out the image.]

the closest we have is two arcs that could probably give us the base:

let us assume that the angular part of the whole circular curve that we took is [itex]\alpha[/itex]

as [itex]\frac{Arc}{radius} = \alpha[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \frac{Arc_b}{r_1} = \frac{Arc_s}{r_2}[/itex] ,[itex] i.e. r_1 = 1.31081 r_2[/itex]

now [itex]r_1 - r_2 = .3108 r_2[/itex]

[itex]\therefore tan\theta = \frac{12}{.3108\dot r_2}[/itex]

so you need either [itex]\alpha~ or~ r_2~ or~ r_1[/itex]

NascentOxygen said:
You don't think that diagram is meant to represent one quadrant of the circular track?
Assuming this figure is OP's attempt at sketching ¼ of the velodrome,
outer radius of track=circumference ÷ (2π) = 4*97÷ (2π) = 61.752
inner radius of track = 4*74 ÷ (2π) = 47.109

So base is (61.752 - 47.109) = ...

I can't seem to think of how, but it seems to me that that is all you need to solve this problem. Thinking a little less rigorously if you had this hypothetical section of track, you couldn't change the base or hypotenuse without affecting one of the known values. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

As the-Ever-Kid has pointed out, you cannot solve the sum without one more piece of data.(i.e either one radius or angle )

Be assured, it can't be found with the currenly available piece of data :-)

Nascent Oxygen has assumed its one-fourth.(although it doesn't look like one fourth to me :P :D )
You can solve the problem and see you will get the answer.

You can then solve for if it was 2-5th and still get another answer whuch suggests it really depends on amount of alpha ( or radius which you show by a similar reasoning)and that a variable is missing.

Last edited:
ok I see where I made an error in my reasoning now. Yeah I can see why this couldn't be solved without more data now.

hey there people i just pmed frogeyedpeas and yes his teacher told him that it was to be assumed as a quarter part of the track

I know this is a bit old but why would this not work

Both arc 97 and 74 share the same angle so

97 = r1*β

74 = r2*β

2 equation 3 unknws we need another eqn

Looking at the right triangle

sinθ = 12 / HYP

HYP can = r1-r2 so

sinθ = 12/r1-r2

Need to relate β and θ

Here is how i tried that

[PLAIN]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee500/tosloww/diagram.gif[/PLAIN]

Uggh sorry for the terrible diagram laptop mouse is messed but anyway

from there you could say

β = (180 - 2θ)

Now we have 3 eqn and 3 unknws

97 = r1 (180 - 2θ)

74 = r2 (180 - 2θ)

sinθ = 12/r1-r2

Am I way off base with this I am kinda tired but I still wanted to give it a go

2slowtogofast said:
Am I way off base with this I am kinda tired but I still wanted to give it a go

Yes you are! lolz ...see you are going and relating angles in entirely diferent planes you can't do that...coz' only angle between straight lies can be equated not angle between perpendicular lines ...the angle β that you considered is on the zx plane while the angle θ is in the zy plane..

Related to Really odd problem in geometry?

1. What is the definition of a "really odd problem" in geometry?

A "really odd problem" in geometry refers to a problem that is particularly unusual or challenging, often involving complex shapes or concepts that are not commonly encountered in typical geometry questions.

2. What are some common strategies for solving really odd geometry problems?

Some common strategies for solving really odd geometry problems include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids or diagrams to better understand the problem, and applying mathematical principles such as symmetry or congruence.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in geometry?

To improve problem-solving skills in geometry, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems, both straightforward and more complex. It can also be helpful to study and understand key concepts and formulas, and to approach problems with a logical and systematic mindset.

4. Is there a specific approach or method that always works for solving really odd geometry problems?

No, there is no one-size-fits-all approach or method for solving really odd geometry problems. Each problem may require a different approach or combination of strategies, and it is important to be flexible and think creatively when tackling these types of problems.

5. How can I use technology, such as calculators or computer programs, to help me solve really odd geometry problems?

Technology can be a useful tool for solving really odd geometry problems, as it can help with calculations and visualizations. However, it is important to also understand the underlying concepts and not rely solely on technology to solve problems.