Really clueless = Minimum Mass Tension Force Question

In summary: Thanks for the response! In summary, the fisherman loses the fish as the line snaps because the fish's mass is less than 18.9 kilograms.
Pandaanli

Homework Statement

A fisherman yanks a fish straight up out of the water with an acceleration of 2m/s^2 using very light fishing line that has a "test value" of 50 pounds. the fisherman, loses the fish as the line snaps.
What is the minimum mass of the fish?

The answer given is mass=18.9kg

No additional information is given, and it's just a question by it self, no other values attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted pounds into kg since they asked for mass as solution
They asked for 3 Sig Figs, so 50 pounds =22.72kg
I'm assuming the acceleration is 2m/s^2 all the way
but I'm not sure how that get me the 18.9 kg answer

I'm seriously clueless with this question, about both the concept and how the answer is gotten. Been trying to figure it out for at least 3 hours, really need your help Q__Q
Please and Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pandaanli said:
I'm assuming the acceleration is 2m/s^2 all the way
but I'm not sure how that get me the 18.9 kg answer
When a fisherman yanks a fish straight up out of the water, the acceleration of 2m/s^2 should be added to gravity acceleration (9.81m/s^2).

regards

Bartek said:
When a fisherman yanks a fish straight up out of the water, the acceleration of 2m/s^2 should be added to gravity acceleration (9.81m/s^2).

regards

Thanks for the reply, Bartek!

I plugged the new acceleration in, and played around with different equations
I've got many answers, but none that's 18.9kg
F= ma
= (22.72)(11.8)
= 222.656 N
How should I continue next?

Pandaanli said:
Thanks for the reply, Bartek!

I plugged the new acceleration in, and played around with different equations
I've got many answers, but none that's 18.9kg
F= ma
= (22.72)(11.8)
= 222.656 N
How should I continue next?
No! When line was tested a=g. So Fmax is (22.72)*9.81, not 11.81 (during test the mass of 50 pounds hanging motionless). F_max is a maximum line tension.

When fisherman yanks a fish, this Fmax should be equal to (m_fish)*(2+9.81). You can calculate m_fish.

regards

ps.
50 pounds is equal to 22,6796185 kg, How did you got 22.72?

Last edited:
Bartek said:
No! When line was tested a=g. So Fmax is (22.72)*9.81, not 11.81 (during test the mass of 50 pounds hanging motionless). F_max is a maximum line tension.

When fisherman yanks a fish, this Fmax should be equal to (m_fish)*(2+9.81). You can calculate m_fish.

regards

ps.
50 pounds is equal to 22,6796185 kg, How did you got 22.72?

Hahah I have no idea how did I get 22.72, probably 1kg = 2.2 lbs

Thank you so much ♥ Finally it's solved~! :D

BTW, I have another tensions concept question

Two tug-of-war teams are at opposite ends of rope. Newton's third law says that the force exerted by team A will equal the force that team B exerts, how can either team win the tug-of-war?

Does the player's mass and friction play a role?

Pandaanli said:
how can either team win the tug-of-war?
Imagine both teams and a rope as a one rigid body. What forces exert this "body" horizontally? When it will be moved?

Bartek said:
Imagine both teams and a rope as a one rigid body. What forces exert this "body" horizontally? When it will be moved?

Friction force exerts on the body horizontally, it'd move when the forces on one side is greater than the other? But what's going to trigger that unbalanced force?

Pandaanli said:
Friction force exerts on the body horizontally, it'd move when the forces on one side is greater than the other?
Yes.
Pandaanli said:
But what's going to trigger that unbalanced force?
muscles :biggrin:. Both teams are pushing the ground... so, ground pushing the teams. Stronger win.

Bartek said:
Yes.
muscles :biggrin:. Both teams are pushing the ground... so, ground pushing the teams. Stronger win.

Thank you thank you ♥
I can finally hand in my work and sleep in peace :D

PS, are you teaching physics? or just doing for fun?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Really clueless = Minimum Mass Tension Force Question

1. What is minimum mass tension force?

Minimum mass tension force refers to the minimum amount of force needed to keep an object at rest or in a state of equilibrium. It is the lowest amount of force that can counteract the forces acting on an object, such as gravity or friction.

2. How is minimum mass tension force calculated?

The calculation for minimum mass tension force involves using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). In the case of minimum mass tension force, the acceleration is zero since the object is at rest, so the force is simply equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (F=mg).

3. Why is minimum mass tension force important?

Understanding minimum mass tension force is important in engineering and physics because it allows us to determine the minimum amount of force needed to keep objects stationary or in a state of equilibrium. This information is crucial when designing structures or machines that need to withstand external forces.

4. How does minimum mass tension force relate to tension in a rope or string?

Tension in a rope or string is directly related to the minimum mass tension force. When an object is suspended by a rope or string, the tension force in the rope must be equal to the minimum mass tension force to keep the object at rest. If the tension force is less than the minimum mass tension force, the object will accelerate downwards.

5. Can minimum mass tension force ever be negative?

No, minimum mass tension force cannot be negative. Since it is the minimum amount of force needed to keep an object at rest, it cannot have a negative value. If the tension force in a rope or string is less than the minimum mass tension force, the object will accelerate downwards and the minimum mass tension force will be acting in the opposite direction to counteract this acceleration.