Realistic bullet drop calculation

In summary, the drop of a bullet due to gravity is modeled as a function of x(t), where x is represented by square root of t. The first equation represents x(t), and the second equation represents how far the bullet has traveled horizontally.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

A little while ago I made a thread about the drop of a bullet due to gravity on a bullet with a constant velocity. Constant velocity is unrealistic, so I am going for a little more realism here.

I am doing this assuming that I have detailed information about distance traveled as a function of time (represented by x(t) ).

The distance an object with 0 initial vertical velocity fall is
[tex]
d_{drop}=\frac{1}{2}gt^{2}
[/tex].

And a rough estimate for x(t) could be [tex]\sqrt{t}[/tex], and velocity v(t) would be [tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{t}}[/tex].

Now that first equation requires some argument for time. Right now I have:

[tex]x(t)=\sqrt{t}[/tex]
and
[tex]v(t)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{t}}[/tex].

So would I use the value of x(t) or v(t) in either of the last two equations, and rearrange to solve for t, and solve from there?

[tex]x(t)=\sqrt{t}{\rightarrow}x^{2}(t)=t[/tex]
[tex]v(t)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{t}}{\rightarrow}\frac{1}{4v^{2}(t)}=t[/tex]

Thus making the equation

[tex]
d_{drop}=\frac{1}{2}g{\cdot}x^{4}(t)
[/tex]
and
[tex]
d_{drop}=\frac{1}{2}g{\cdot}\frac{1}{16v^{4}(t)}
[/tex]

Is any of this incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
warfreak131 said:
Is any of this incorrect?
Only the first equation is correct. In fact it represents x(t),

[tex]x(t)=\frac{1}{2}gt^{2}[/tex]

Given that, it is plain wrong to assert that

[tex]x(t)=\sqrt{t}[/tex]

kuruman said:
Only the first equation is correct. In fact it represents x(t),

[tex]x(t)=\frac{1}{2}gt^{2}[/tex]

Given that, it is plain wrong to assert that

[tex]x(t)=\sqrt{t}[/tex]

the first equation is y as a function of time. the distance it has fallen.

the second equation is how far the bullet has traveled horizontally. and like i said, sqrt(t) is just an estimate, a rough idea of how the graph of x(t) might look. obivously if i had data points for distance as a function of time, I could make a better x(t) equation

warfreak131 said:
the first equation is y as a function of time. the distance it has fallen.
the second equation is how far the bullet has traveled horizontally. and like i said, sqrt(t) is just an estimate, a rough idea of how the graph of x(t) might look. obivously if i had data points for distance as a function of time, I could make a better x(t) equation

OK, I see. This is a two-dimesional projectile problem. You need two equations that describe the vertical and horizontal position as measured from the firing point. Note that in the horizontal direction there is no acceleration. This means that bullet covers equal horizontal distances in equal times. An equation that expresses this is

x(t) = v0t

where v0 is the muzzle speed. For the vertical direction you have

y(t) = (1/2)gt2

Now that you have the equations, what question do you wish to answer or what are you looking for?

Last edited:
kuruman said:
OK, I see. This is a two-dimesional projectile problem. You need two equations that describe the vertical and horizontal position as measured from the firing point. Note that in the horizontal direction there is no acceleration. This means that bullet covers equal horizontal distances in equal times. An equation that expresses this is

x(t) = v0t

where v0 is the muzzle speed. For the vertical direction you have

y(t) = (1/2)gt2

Now that you have the equations, what question do you wish to answer or what are you looking for?

The velocity along the bullets path is not constant. If it was constant, the graph of x vs. t would be linear, and the graph of v vs. t would be a flat horizontal line. This is not the case. I figured x vs. t would be represented roughly by square root of t. x starts off increasing rapidly as the bullet moves fast, and then x increases less and less and velocity decreases.

So if you had detailed information about x vs. t, you could use a computer or a graphing program to determine an accurate equation for x as a function of t. But for now, let's just keep it as square root of t. You can solve this equation for t. And in the case of square root of t, t = x2. So in the equation (1/2)gt2, you can substitute and get (1/2)g(x2)2, giving you (1/2)gx4.

warfreak131 said:
The velocity along the bullets path is not constant. If it was constant, the graph of x vs. t would be linear, and the graph of v vs. t would be a flat horizontal line. This is not the case.
How do you know it is not the case? Do you have such a graph?
So if you had detailed information about x vs. t, you could use a computer or a graphing program to determine an accurate equation for x as a function of t.
I agree. What is the information that you do have? Have you made measurements of the bullet's position as a function of time or are you just guessing?
But for now, let's just keep it as square root of t. You can solve this equation for t. And in the case of square root of t, t = x2. So in the equation (1/2)gt2, you can substitute and get (1/2)g(x2)2, giving you (1/2)gx4.
Your equations are unusable; t=x2 is not dimensionally correct so you cannot plug in numbers and expect a reasonable answer.

kuruman said:
How do you know it is not the case? Do you have such a graph?

I agree. What is the information that you do have? Have you made measurements of the bullet's position as a function of time or are you just guessing?

Well it's definitely not linear. Bullets slow down over time. If the graph of x vs t were linear, the graph of velocity would be a straight line, implying constant velocity, which is not the case.

And if I had the means to do a measurement, I would. I've been doing internet searched for position vs time graphs and haven't got anything so far

edit: its almost what I am looking for here, http://www.bized.co.uk/images/bulletgraph.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
warfreak131 said:
Well it's definitely not linear. Bullets slow down over time. If the graph of x vs t were linear, the graph of velocity would be a straight line, implying constant velocity, which is not the case.

And if I had the means to do a measurement, I would. I've been doing internet searched for position vs time graphs and haven't got anything so far

edit: its almost what I am looking for here, http://www.bized.co.uk/images/bulletgraph.gif
I have been looking at ballistics charts. They give speed as a function of distance in 100 yard intervals from zero to 500 yards. You could estimate the time per interval by using the average velocity.

[tex]100 yards=\frac{1}{2}(V_{initial}+V_{final})t[/tex]

kuruman said:
I have been looking at ballistics charts. They give speed as a function of distance in 100 yard intervals from zero to 500 yards. You could estimate the time per interval by using the average velocity.

[tex]100 yards=\frac{1}{2}(V_{initial}+V_{final})t[/tex]

okay, it took some searching, but i finally found a chart of velocity vs. time

http://www.inpharmix.com/jps/_images/t_ht_vel.gif

so i used my graphing calc, found that the equation is roughly 2.5t4-30t3+135t2-307.5t+350

that v(t), so if you integrate it, you get x(t)=.5t5-7.5t4+45t3-153.75t2+350t+Constant

then if you integrate that from 0 to 4 seconds, you get 412 feet. i jus thave to figure out how to put that into the equations above. unfortunately, there's no easy way to solve for t, and its not dimensionally correct...

edit: actually, what you would do, it integrate from whatever time frames you want to find out the total horizontal distance in that time frame.

but then how to use horizontal distance to solve for time...

how would you find time given variable velocity and horizontal distance?

Last edited:
I have a question and a suggestion for you.

What does the graph that you found show? It looks like the vertical component of the velocity as when the bullet is shot straight up. Is that what you are interested in?

If so, then instead of a polynomial, I think you might try approximating the v(t) vs t graph as a decaying exponential of the form

v(t) = v0e-k*t

You can read v0 from the graph. To get k, you make a semi-log plot, i.e. you plot ln(v(t)/v0) vs. t. Note that this should give you a straight line with slope -k. You can then integrate to get x(t) that involves another e-k*t term. That is easier to invert to get t(x).

There is a realistic situation for a projectile which is easy to solve and takes drag into consideration. Assume that the magnitude of drag is proportional to the magnitude of velocity , the force is parallel and opposite to the velocity.

[tex]\vec F_D = K \vec v [/tex][tex] \frac{dv_x}{dt}=-kv_x[/tex]

[tex] \frac{dv_y}{dt}=-g-kv_y[/tex]

At t=0, the velocity components are vx0 and vy0

The solution for the velocity components:

[tex] v_x=v_{x0} \exp{(-kt)}[/tex]

[tex] v_y=(g/k+v_{y0}) \exp{(-kt)}-g/k[/tex]

g/k is the terminal velocity. The coordinates can be obtained by integrating the velocity components.

ehild

Edit:

[tex]F_D = - k m \vec v[/tex]

Last edited:
kuruman said:
I have a question and a suggestion for you.

What does the graph that you found show? It looks like the vertical component of the velocity as when the bullet is shot straight up. Is that what you are interested in?

damn, i overlooked that, i think this is a graph of the bullet being shot straight up

warfreak131 said:
damn, i overlooked that, i think this is a graph of the bullet being shot straight up
I take it that's not what you were looking for.

Related to Realistic bullet drop calculation

What is bullet drop?

Bullet drop is the phenomenon where a bullet fired from a firearm will follow a curved path due to the effects of gravity.

Why is realistic bullet drop calculation important?

Realistic bullet drop calculation is important for accurately predicting the trajectory of a bullet and therefore increasing the chances of hitting a target. It also helps in determining the necessary adjustments for long-range shots.

What factors affect bullet drop?

The main factors that affect bullet drop are muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, air density, and wind. Other factors such as the weight and shape of the bullet, as well as the barrel length and angle of the shot, can also have an impact.

What is the formula for calculating bullet drop?

The formula for calculating bullet drop is:
D = V * T + 0.5 * A * T^2
Where D is the bullet drop, V is the muzzle velocity, T is the time of flight, and A is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

How can I improve my bullet drop calculation accuracy?

To improve accuracy in bullet drop calculation, it is important to use accurate and up-to-date ballistic data, as well as consider all the factors that affect bullet drop. Practice and experience in long-range shooting can also help improve accuracy in bullet drop calculation.