Real world testing bench - trying to check my calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses a homemade pendulum hammer designed for product testing. The hammer weighs 10 pounds and is dropped from a height of 13.5 inches, with an estimated force range of 360 to 420 pounds exerted on the target. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of calculating the deceleration of the hammer and the purpose of the test.
leahcim
I know this seems like a homework question but the last time I was in a physics class was <ahem> 1982.

For product testing reasons, I have fabricated a (rough, very rough--no laughing at the fabrication/welding) 'repeating pendulum hammer'. Please see "test rig diagram.jpg"

Distance from A to B is 13.5"
Weight of (C) Hammer (pendulum) is 10 pounds

C is raised 90 degrees and then dropped to strike B (30/minute - fyi)

I am assuming away all frictions, incorrect/incomplete angles and time issues.

I believe/calculated the instantaneous force (in pounds/force) at B, exerted by the hammer (C) to be in the range of 360 to 420.

This Rube Goldberg was conceived on a bar napkin talking with a ME. Do the forces fall in that range?

TIA,
leahcim

Attachments

• test rig diagram.jpg
    test rig diagram.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get this force range?

The important thing here is the deceleration of the 'hammer'. This is in general tough to calculate...you might get close if you can find the elasticity of the target (assuming the 'hammer' is a hard metal).

What exactly are you trying to achieve with your test? I do this stuff for a living, so I am always interested.

Related to Real world testing bench - trying to check my calculations

1. How do I ensure the accuracy of my calculations?

In order to ensure the accuracy of your calculations, it is important to use reliable and precise measuring tools, conduct multiple trials, and have a peer review your work. Additionally, double-checking your work and using mathematical formulas to cross-check your calculations can also help ensure accuracy.

2. What is the purpose of real world testing?

The purpose of real world testing is to validate the results and functionality of a scientific concept or theory in a real-life setting. This helps to determine the practicality and effectiveness of the concept in real-world scenarios.

3. How do I design a real world testing bench?

To design a real world testing bench, you will need to determine the specific parameters and variables that need to be tested, select appropriate equipment and materials, and create a controlled environment for testing. It is also important to have a clear and detailed plan for data collection and analysis.

4. What are the potential sources of error in real world testing?

Some potential sources of error in real world testing include human error, equipment malfunction, environmental factors, and flaws in experimental design. It is important to identify and minimize these potential sources of error to ensure accurate and reliable results.

5. How do I interpret the results of my real world testing?

The interpretation of results from real world testing will depend on the specific goals and objectives of the experiment. It is important to compare the results to your initial hypothesis and consider any potential sources of error. Additionally, seeking the input of other experts in the field can help with interpreting the results accurately.