Real World Applications of Optical Cavities: What Can They Be Used For?

In summary, optical cavities, also known as laser cavities, are used in lasers to achieve stimulated emission by bouncing light beams off two reflecting mirrors. They are also used in other applications for observing different effects. While it is not necessary for lasers to have two mirrors, it is not uncommon for high power lasers to use external cavities with a gain medium for amplification.
Istruggle
Are there any real world uses for optical cavities.
Optical (or laser Cavities) description: where lasers continually bounce off two reflecting mirrors.

Science news on Phys.org
Istruggle said:
Are there any real world uses for optical cavities.
Optical (or laser Cavities) description: where lasers continually bounce off two reflecting mirrors.
Google is your best friend for answering such open ended questions.

Anywhere I should start

Istruggle said:
Anywhere I should start
Did you try ""Optical cavity" ? I got a load of hits.

Likes davenn
Istruggle said:
This is wrong , I reckon.You probably mean light . True, optical cavities are used in lasers to get stimulated emission but you don't actually have lasers bouncing off two mirrors.

My professor had the subject labeled as laser cavities, but it does make more sense to with light rays.

Istruggle said:
My professor had the subject labeled as laser cavities, but it does make more sense to with light rays.
It is not clear what you are actually asking about (the context) Lasers incorporate a cavity,(two mirrors) between which the light beam is reflected many times and this causes the laser action.You can also pass a laser beam into an optical cavity in which other effects can be observed. Which were you asking about?

UncertaintyAjay said:
you don't actually have lasers bouncing off two mirrors.
It's actually not that uncommon to have a laser coupled into an external cavity. High power lasers almost always employ amplification stage in which the laser is input to a cavity containing a gain medium.

blue_leaf77 said:
It's actually not that uncommon to have a laser coupled into an external cavity. High power lasers almost always employ amplification stage in which the laser is input to a cavity containing a gain medium.
Thanks for the info!

Related to Real World Applications of Optical Cavities: What Can They Be Used For?

1. What are optical cavities?

Optical cavities, also known as resonators, are devices that are designed to confine light within a narrow space so that it can interact with matter more effectively. They are composed of two highly reflective mirrors facing each other, with a small gap between them for the light to pass through.

2. What are the uses of optical cavities?

Optical cavities have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Some common uses include precision measurement, laser stabilization, and enhancement of light-matter interactions for experiments in quantum optics and cavity quantum electrodynamics.

3. How are optical cavities useful in precision measurement?

Optical cavities can be used as highly sensitive tools for measuring changes in length, refractive index, and other physical properties. By measuring the changes in the light passing through the cavity, scientists can accurately determine the changes in the measured parameters.

4. Can optical cavities be used for laser stabilization?

Yes, optical cavities are commonly used for laser stabilization. By locking the frequency of a laser to the resonant frequency of the cavity, the laser can be stabilized and its output can be significantly improved in terms of coherence, linewidth, and power stability.

5. How do optical cavities enhance light-matter interactions?

Optical cavities are designed to trap light within a small volume, increasing its intensity and allowing it to interact with matter more effectively. This allows for the investigation of quantum effects and enables the creation of new states of light and matter, leading to advances in fields such as quantum computing and information processing.