Real Variables In Complex Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that asks for expressions to be put in z={ReA(e^i*)(e^i*)} form, and the use of Euler's equation to expand the expressions. It also clarifies the concept of real and imaginary parts and provides an example of finding the real part in complex phasor amplitude.
Dr_Seuss
Hi

Homework Statement

The problem asks to put the following expressions in z={ReA(e^i*)(e^i*)} Form

for

z=3cos(wt)-sin(wt)

z=sin(wt+pi/4)+cos(wt)

z=sin(wt)+2cos(wt-pi/3)-cos(wt)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I don't even know which parts are real and imaginary because there is no i value in any of them. I used eulers equation and expand them but arrived at a equation with only one i, two cos, and a sin. Is this the right approach or am I missing the point.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this make any sense?

Attachments

• exp042.jpg
    exp042.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 528
Ya That does help a lot does this mean for

z=sin(wt)+2cos(wt+pi/4)-cos(wt)

The Real Part would be

Re{e^i(wt-pi/2) + 2e^i(wt-pi/3) - e^i(wt)}

in complex phasor amplitude

Thanks

Related to Real Variables In Complex Equation

What is a real variable in a complex equation?

A real variable in a complex equation is a variable that can take on any real value, meaning any number on the number line. This is in contrast to an imaginary variable, which takes on values that are multiples of the imaginary number i.

Why are real variables important in complex equations?

Real variables are important in complex equations because they allow us to represent and solve real-world problems that involve both real and imaginary quantities, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics. Real variables also help us understand the behavior and properties of complex functions.

What are the basic properties of real variables in complex equations?

The basic properties of real variables in complex equations are that they can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided just like real numbers. They also follow the distributive, associative, and commutative properties. Additionally, real variables have a conjugate, which is the same value with the sign of the imaginary part changed.

What is the difference between a complex variable and a real variable in a complex equation?

The main difference between a complex variable and a real variable in a complex equation is that a complex variable can take on both real and imaginary values, while a real variable can only take on real values. Complex variables also have both a real and an imaginary part, while real variables do not have an imaginary part.

How are real variables used in complex analysis?

Real variables are used in complex analysis to study the properties and behavior of complex functions. Real variables are often used to simplify complex equations and to understand the geometric and algebraic relationships between real and imaginary quantities in a complex function. They are also used to prove theorems and solve problems in complex analysis.