Real life uses for math for the layman/undergraduate?

• Thread starter Keith Young
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation revolved around the practical applications of various mathematical methods in the field of engineering. Green's Theorem was mentioned as a tool for calculating areas and moments of irregularly shaped regions, and its use in computer calculations was also highlighted. Other examples of applied math in real world scenarios were mentioned, such as differential equations for re-entry and ballistic trajectories, finite field math for error correction codes, and number theory and hyperbolic cosine for cryptography and bridge design. The Cornu spiral and Euler spiral were also discussed as examples of applied math in engineering.
Keith Young
Hey guys, first post here.

chalkboard.jpg

I am making a list of applied math examples and I was wondering what uses you guys know. For example I recall in Numerical we learned the Shooting Method. It didn't make any sense to me until I realized it could be used in Beam Deflection.

Applied Math Examples List - Methods - Real World Uses

I tend to write more about Motorsports Engineering applications, but I'll take just about any application you throw at me as long as I can understand it enough to write about it.

I hope this can help as many people as possible, and one day I hope to have that list complete.

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you'll get more useful responses if you list a few mathematical methods that you know about and ask if they have practical applications. Or ask about practical problems you understand and request mathematics that might apply.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Stephen.

Is it better making individual threads, or lump them in here?

The first one I'd like to know is what are some real world uses for Green's Theorem? Particularly in the Engineering field, and if you know of any uses for race cars that would be even more ideal.

Green's Theorem is the basis for tools like planimeters, which measure the area of irregularly shaped regions. Until the advent of computers, most engineering offices would own a planimeter. For calculating moments of area and such, more expensive instruments called integrators would be used, but they were not as common.

Green's Theorem can still be used to do these same calculations numerically with a computer. If you can describe the boundary of a region using straight lines, arcs, or other curves, you can calculate the area and the various moments of the region without trying to break it up into squares or triangles. GT is quite a practical tool, but it is rarely presented as such in most curriculums.

Likes 1 person
differential equations - re-entry and super-sonic ballistics trajectories.

finite field math - error correction code (like Reed Solomon). Used in hard drives.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, one of the topics I was planning was the ascent and descent of a sounding rocket.

Prime Testing and Prime Factorization: fundamental in cryptography (RSA, for example) used in security systems.
For the same applications, a lot of Number Theory actually.

Hyperbolic cosine: it describes the shape of a catenary, a long chain hanging from two poles by its own weight. In bridge designs and architecture.

And there's the Cornu spiral, used to smooth the transition when a train enters a circular curve. Railroad tracks and Highway engineering (close enough to your races, I guess :P)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_spiral

Likes 1 person
Thanks Boorglar!

Related to Real life uses for math for the layman/undergraduate?

What are some real life applications of math?

Math is used in a variety of ways in our daily lives. Some common applications include budgeting and managing finances, calculating measurements for cooking and home improvement projects, and understanding statistics and probabilities in making informed decisions.

How does math help in problem solving?

Math teaches us logical thinking and problem solving strategies that can be applied in various situations. It also helps us break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and use critical thinking to find solutions.

What role does math play in technology and innovation?

Math is the foundation of many technological advancements and innovations. It is used in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics to develop and improve technology and create new products and services.

How can math be applied in the business world?

Businesses use math to analyze data, make financial projections, and develop strategies for growth and success. Math is also used in market research, inventory management, and optimization of processes and systems.

How can understanding math concepts benefit individuals?

Math skills are essential for everyday tasks and can also lead to higher paying job opportunities. Understanding math concepts can also improve problem solving skills, critical thinking, and overall brain function. Additionally, it can help individuals make informed decisions and understand the world around them.