Real Image Optics: Selecting Correct Answer

In summary, a real image is located in the plane of convergence for light that originates from a given object and can be projected onto a screen. It is not equal to 1 in magnification and does not necessarily mean it is an excellent image.
TitaniumX

Homework Statement

Doing some practice problems to prepare for upcoming exam and ran across this:

A real image is
a. One in which light does not pass through the image point but appears to diverge from that point
b. One for which the magnification equal 1
c. An excellent image
d. An image that can be projected onto a screen
e. None of these

From what I learn, a real image is located in the plane of convergence for light that originate from a given object. I can easily eliminate (b) and (c). I'm just wondering if (d) could be an equivalent statement to a real image, or is it none of the above? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
your thought processes are spot on.

That's good to hear. So can you (or someone) help lead my though process to the correct conclusion?

you have the answer... a real image is (d)

Thanks! Just making sure :)

Related to Real Image Optics: Selecting Correct Answer

What is a real image?

A real image is an image that is formed when light rays actually converge at a specific point after passing through a lens or reflecting off a mirror. It is a true representation of the object and can be projected onto a screen.

How does a real image differ from a virtual image?

A virtual image is formed when light rays appear to converge at a point but do not actually do so. It cannot be projected onto a screen and is not a true representation of the object. In contrast, a real image is formed when light rays actually converge.

What factors affect the quality of a real image?

The quality of a real image can be affected by several factors, including the focal length of the lens, the aperture size, and the distance between the object and the lens. Other factors such as the curvature of the lens and the wavelength of light can also impact the quality of the image.

How do I select the correct lens for creating a real image?

To select the correct lens for creating a real image, you need to consider the distance between the object and the lens, the size of the object, and the desired magnification. You also need to consider the focal length and aperture size of the lens to ensure that it can form a clear real image.

Can a real image be magnified?

Yes, a real image can be magnified by using a lens with a shorter focal length or by moving the object closer to the lens. However, the quality of the image may be affected if the magnification is too high or if the lens is not of good quality.