Real image from concave mirror

In summary, real images are those where real light rays are coming back together after being reflected and can be projected onto a screen. Virtual images, on the other hand, are created by the brain being tricked into thinking the light rays are coming from a point when they are actually being reflected. A concave mirror can be used to project a real image, while a virtual image requires someone to look at the mirror and their brain to be tricked.
overside
"real" image from concave mirror

Ok so in we are currently doing mirrors and reflections in physics and from what I learned there are 2 types of images: real and virtual. I know that a virtual image is what you see INSIDE the mirror; but what does a real image looks like? I can't find anything online.. or maybe my seaching skill is just bad, but please someone enlighten me. Oh and something like a pic or vid will be better description than just words :D

Science news on Phys.org

What sort of image do you think a lens projects onto a piece of film?

If you stand back far enough from the mirror that the real image is between you and the mirror, you can see the image "floating" in front of the mirror.

A real image is simply an image where real light rays are coming back together after being reflected. With virtual images, the eye traces the reflected rays back to a point because it's tricked and doesn't account for the misdirection by the mirror. Both are images, per se, the only real difference is that a real image can be projected onto a screen, and the virtual image requires someone to look at the mirror and their brain to be tricked. If you have a concave mirror, I suggest trying this out with some paper or a screen in a room with a window. You should be able to see the room projected onto the paper if you get things right, just don't use direct sunlight

Last edited:

A real image from a concave mirror is an image that can be projected onto a screen. It is formed when light rays coming from an object are reflected and converge at a point in front of the mirror. This means that the image is inverted compared to the object and can be seen by an observer in front of the mirror. The size of the image depends on the distance between the object and the mirror, as well as the focal length of the mirror. Here is a link to a video showing a real image from a concave mirror: . I hope this helps to clarify the concept of a real image!

Related to Real image from concave mirror

1. What is a real image from a concave mirror?

A real image from a concave mirror is an inverted image that is formed when rays of light from an object are reflected and converge at a point in front of the mirror. This type of image can be projected onto a screen and can be seen by the human eye.

2. How is a real image formed by a concave mirror?

A real image is formed by a concave mirror when an object is placed beyond the focal point of the mirror. The rays of light from the object are reflected and converge at a point in front of the mirror, creating an inverted image. The size and location of the image will depend on the distance of the object from the mirror.

3. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image from a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when rays of light actually converge at a point in front of the mirror, while a virtual image is formed when the rays appear to converge at a point behind the mirror. A real image can be projected onto a screen and can be seen by the human eye, while a virtual image cannot be projected and can only be seen through the reflection in the mirror.

4. What are some applications of real images from concave mirrors?

Real images from concave mirrors have various applications in everyday life. They are used in telescopes to magnify distant objects, in car headlights to focus light, and in makeup and shaving mirrors to create a larger and clearer image. They are also used in medical imaging devices such as endoscopes and dental mirrors.

5. Can a concave mirror produce a real image of an object placed between the mirror and its focal point?

No, a concave mirror cannot produce a real image of an object placed between the mirror and its focal point. In this case, the reflected rays of light will not converge and will instead form a virtual image that cannot be projected or seen on a screen. The image will also appear larger than the object itself.