Reading in Sleep: Exploring the Mysterious Phenomenon

In summary, the conversation discusses the common experience of dreaming about reading or studying while half awake/half asleep. The details of the dreams vary, with some containing gibberish or mixtures of languages, and others involving complex vocabulary. It is mentioned that this phenomenon may occur after engaging in demanding activities, not just reading or studying. While some find this experience useful, others find it frustrating. There is also a mention of someone who can recall images and read them in their sleep, as well as others who can speak a language fluently in their dreams but struggle with it while awake. The conversation concludes with someone sharing their worst dream about working under a deadline while sick.
Werg22
Sometimes, usually early in the morning when I'm half awake/half asleep I dream of reading out of a book. The words appear very clearly and the image remains fixed, and I read from left to right, just like with a real book. Sometimes the words do not exist, it's gibberish, sometimes its fully in English, and others a mix of the two. Unfortunately I don't really remember what kind of information is being conveyed. Just that it's usually using a somewhat complicated vocabulary. But I think as far as grammar goes, when the words actually exist, it's well formed.

I want to know if this sort of thing is studied (I'm sure it is) and if so would like to know where I can learn more about it. I think it's interesting because it's as if I don't get to understand the meaning of what's 'written' before reading it through, although the image already exists in my mind - the mind generates something with meaning without necessarily knowing the said meaning!

Biology news on Phys.org
Similar here; that it happens with me, too. Usually when I had been studying something difficult for a few days, impressions of studying, reading, problem solving (attempts) enter into dreams while asleep. By my own account, this would happen from other activities too, not just reading or studying, but any sustained, damanding activity.

symbolipoint said:
Similar here; that it happens with me, too. Usually when I had been studying something difficult for a few days, impressions of studying, reading, problem solving (attempts) enter into dreams while asleep. By my own account, this would happen from other activities too, not just reading or studying, but any sustained, damanding activity.
Absolutely, it has no significance other than it's dreaming about something in your life. Two nights ago I dreamt that I had put together a 10 page report for a client. it was grueling, I dreamt every litle detail, from the research to making a 10 page presentation, glossy, with pictures, and then presenting to a commitee for approval before presenting it to a client. I woke up stressed out and mentally exhausted. I often do detailed work in my sleep, only to wake up and find that it was all lost because it was a dream.

Oh man... I wish I could read while I sleep. That would save so much time...

I had a friend in high school who had a photographic memory, and he recalled the images and read them in his sleep. It saved him a lot of time. He was very good in English and History, but not so bright in Algebra, because he could recall the images, but not reason with them.

I sometimes play guitar in my sleep. When I wake up, it I can recall what I was trying to accomplish, I can sometimes get something useful out of it.

Sometimes, when I'm working on something intensively, I think about the problem in my sleep. I won't be aware of it, but in the morning, when I'm half awake/half asleep (it's called hypnagogia) I 'notice' that I had been thinking about it before, and can vaguely recall the mental images and manipulations that I had been doing.

Evo said:
Absolutely, it has no significance other than it's dreaming about something in your life. Two nights ago I dreamt that I had put together a 10 page report for a client. it was grueling, I dreamt every litle detail, from the research to making a 10 page presentation, glossy, with pictures, and then presenting to a commitee for approval before presenting it to a client. I woke up stressed out and mentally exhausted. I often do detailed work in my sleep, only to wake up and find that it was all lost because it was a dream.

I absolutely HATE those dreams!

I sometimes read books in my dreams. I also sometimes can speak spanish in my dreams, although when I am awake I definitely can NOT remember enough to be even close to conversational. Let alone conjugate verbs...

Ms Music said:
I absolutely HATE those dreams!

I sometimes read books in my dreams. I also sometimes can speak spanish in my dreams, although when I am awake I definitely can NOT remember enough to be even close to conversational. Let alone conjugate verbs...
My worst ones are dreams in which I am working up semi-annual sales projections, figuring out the minimum unit costs needed to meet budget, plugging fixed and variable costs into spreadsheet, etc, all under a crushing deadline, no less. I had one of those last week when I had a raging head-cold, got up to go to the bathroom and was relieved to realize it was just a dream. BUT, when I fell back asleep, I somehow went back to the same grinding stressful dream. Break's over! Back to work! Blah!

Related to Reading in Sleep: Exploring the Mysterious Phenomenon

What is reading in sleep?

Reading in sleep, also known as lucid dreaming, is the experience of being consciously aware and in control of your dreams. It allows you to read and process information while in a sleep state.

Is reading in sleep a common phenomenon?

While not everyone experiences reading in sleep, it is estimated that about 55% of adults have had at least one lucid dream in their lifetime. However, the frequency and intensity of these dreams can vary greatly among individuals.

How does reading in sleep occur?

Reading in sleep occurs during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is the stage of sleep where most dreaming occurs. During this stage, the mind is in a highly active and creative state, allowing for conscious control of dreams.

Can reading in sleep be used as a learning tool?

Some studies have shown that reading in sleep can help with memory consolidation and learning. However, further research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits and limitations of this phenomenon.

Is reading in sleep safe?

Reading in sleep is considered safe for most individuals. However, as with any activity during sleep, there is a risk of disrupting normal sleep patterns which can lead to fatigue and other sleep-related issues. It is important to consult with a medical professional if you experience any negative effects from reading in sleep.