Reading Haaser-Sullivan's Real Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about a real-valued function, g(x), on a closed interval [a,b] in R. The problem asks if the statement "for all x in [a,b], |g'(x)| <= 1" means that g'(x) is defined for all x in [a,b] or that for all x in [a,b] where g'(x) is defined, |g(x)| <= 1. The conclusion is that g'(x) is defined and between -1 and 1 for all x in [a,b], but g(x) may not necessarily be continuous on the interval. The concept of "contraction" is also briefly discussed.
_DJ_british_?
Hi peeps!

I was reading Haaser-Sullivan's Real Analysis and came across a problem for which I have a doubt. A part of it is stated like this : " For all x in the closed interval [a,b] in R, |g'(x)|<=1 '' (g(x) is, of course, a real-valued function of a real variable and that's all we know about it). Does that mean that for all x in [a,b], g'(x) is defined or that for all x in [a,b] such that g'(x) is defined, |g(x)|<=1?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I would interpret it as saying that g'(x) is defined and between -1 and 1, for all x in [a,b].

That's what I thought, thanks! I haven't touched the formal definition of differentiability, but in Calculus I learned that a function was differentiable on [a,b] iff its derivative exists on [a,b]. So the condition stated above is enough to show differentiability on [a,b] and thus, continuity and contraction?

_DJ_british_? said:
That's what I thought, thanks! I haven't touched the formal definition of differentiability, but in Calculus I learned that a function was differentiable on [a,b] iff its derivative exists on [a,b]. So the condition stated above is enough to show differentiability on [a,b] and thus, continuity and contraction?
I think that all we can say is that since |g'(x)| is defined at every x in the interval, then |g(x)| is continuous on the same interval, but that g(x) is not necessarily continuous.

What do you mean by "contraction?" Are you saying that |g(x)| <= x?

Hello,

I am glad to hear that you are reading Haaser-Sullivan's Real Analysis and have come across a problem that has sparked your curiosity. Based on the information given, it seems that the statement "for all x in the closed interval [a,b] in R, |g'(x)|<=1" is referring to the behavior of the derivative of g(x) within the interval [a,b]. This means that for all values of x within that interval, the absolute value of the derivative of g(x) is less than or equal to 1. This does not necessarily mean that g'(x) is defined for all values of x in [a,b], but rather that when it is defined, its absolute value is bounded by 1. I hope this helps clarify your doubt. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Reading Haaser-Sullivan's Real Analysis

1. What is "Reading Haaser-Sullivan's Real Analysis"?

"Reading Haaser-Sullivan's Real Analysis" is a comprehensive guide to understanding the concepts and techniques of real analysis, written by Charles G. Haaser and George E. Sullivan. It covers topics such as sequences, continuity, differentiation, and integration, and provides numerous examples and exercises to help readers build their understanding and problem-solving skills.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in real analysis?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners in real analysis. It assumes a basic understanding of calculus, but does not assume any prior knowledge of real analysis. The authors have written the book in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

3. Are there any resources available to supplement the content in this book?

Yes, there are several resources available to supplement the content in this book. The authors have provided an accompanying website with additional exercises and solutions, as well as a list of errata for the book. Additionally, there are many online forums and study groups dedicated to real analysis that can serve as helpful resources for readers.

4. How can I make the most out of reading this book?

To make the most out of reading this book, it is recommended to actively engage with the material. This can include working through all the examples and exercises, as well as taking notes and summarizing key concepts. It may also be helpful to form a study group with other readers to discuss and review the material.

5. Can this book be used as a textbook for a real analysis course?

Yes, this book can be used as a textbook for a real analysis course. It covers all the essential topics and provides numerous examples and exercises for students to practice and apply their knowledge. In fact, many universities and colleges use this book as a textbook for their real analysis courses.