Reactions to produce electricity

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding reactions that can power a small car for a college project. The person is seeking guidance and suggestions for potential reactions and has been advised to repost in a specific forum with a template and evidence of prior research. The conversation ends with the thread being locked.
Muhammad Waleed Khan
I am looking for reactions that can power a small car. I'm currently working on a college project where we have to make a car powered by a chemical reaction. Could anyone guide me in the right direction?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Muhammad Waleed Khan said:
I am looking for reactions that can power a small car. I'm currently working on a college project where we have to make a car powered by a chemical reaction. Could anyone guide me in the right direction?
Whelp, there are all the current ways of doing it, right? And all the other ways of making battery reactions with lemons or whatever. What reading have you been doing so far? What are your thoughts?

Oh, and since this is for schoolwork, please re-post in the Homework Help, Chemistry forum, and fill out the Template you are provided there. That includes showing the work you have done on this so far. This thread is locked.

Related to Reactions to produce electricity

1. What is the purpose of reactions to produce electricity?

The purpose of reactions to produce electricity is to convert chemical energy into electrical energy. This allows for the generation and storage of electricity for various uses, such as powering electronic devices or providing electricity for homes and businesses.

2. What types of reactions are commonly used to produce electricity?

The most commonly used reactions to produce electricity are redox reactions, which involve the transfer of electrons between two substances. These reactions can occur in various forms, such as in fuel cells, batteries, and combustion engines.

3. How do reactions to produce electricity work?

Reactions to produce electricity work by utilizing the movement of electrons from a substance with a higher energy level to a substance with a lower energy level. This movement of electrons creates a flow of electric current, which can be harnessed and used to power electrical devices.

4. What are some examples of reactions to produce electricity?

Some examples of reactions to produce electricity include the combination of hydrogen and oxygen to form water in a fuel cell, the oxidation of zinc in a battery, and the combustion of fuel in an engine. Other common reactions include the oxidation of metals, such as copper or iron, and the reaction between acids and bases.

5. What are the advantages of using reactions to produce electricity?

There are several advantages to using reactions to produce electricity. One major advantage is that many of these reactions can be sustained for a long period of time, allowing for a continuous supply of electricity. Additionally, many of these reactions are relatively clean and efficient, making them a more environmentally friendly option for generating electricity compared to traditional fossil fuels.