Reaction time of dollar falling between fingers

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for determining if someone is too impaired to drive after a party. The method involves catching a falling dollar bill and calculating reaction time. The equation d = vit + 1/2at^2 is mentioned, and the importance of not driving while under the influence of alcohol is emphasized.
alexs2jennisha

Homework Statement

If you are worried about safely driving after a party, I recommend you just not drive! But if you want to
see when you are finally okay to drive, here is a test to see if you are still too “impaired”. Take a dollar bill
and have a friend hold the bill from one of the short sides hanging straight down. Place your thumb and
forefinger opposite the bottom of the bill. Have your friend release the paper suddenly and try to catch it
with your thumb and forefinger. If you can catch this bill three times in a row, you are not too badly
impaired. Assuming the bill was falling freely without air resistance (not a bad assumption for the paper
falling sideways), calculate your reaction time. That is, how long does it take for the entire length of the
bill to fall between your fingers? (Use your hand to measure a dollar bill based on your body
measurements.)

i know that the acceleration is -9.8m/s2

Homework Equations

I was thinking of using d = vit + 1/2at2

but i don't know d

The Attempt at a Solution

if i do know d am i choosing the right equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Reaction time of dollar falling between fingers

1. What is reaction time in the context of the dollar falling between fingers?

Reaction time in this context refers to the amount of time it takes for a person to respond and catch the falling dollar between their fingers. It is a measure of how quickly the brain and body can process and react to a visual stimulus.

2. How is reaction time measured in this experiment?

In this experiment, reaction time is measured by using a stopwatch to record the time it takes for the participant to catch the falling dollar between their fingers. The timer starts when the dollar is released and stops when the dollar is caught.

3. What factors can affect reaction time in this experiment?

Some factors that can affect reaction time in this experiment include age, hand-eye coordination, level of concentration, and level of experience with the task. Physical factors such as fatigue, caffeine intake, and hand dominance may also play a role.

4. How can the results of this experiment be used in real-world situations?

The results of this experiment can provide insights into the cognitive and physical abilities of individuals when it comes to reacting to visual stimuli. This information can be useful in various fields such as sports, driving, and other tasks that require quick reflexes and hand-eye coordination.

5. Are there any limitations to using reaction time as a measure of cognitive ability?

Yes, there are limitations to using reaction time as a measure of cognitive ability. Reaction time can be affected by a variety of external factors, and it may not always accurately reflect an individual's overall cognitive abilities. Additionally, some individuals may have faster or slower reaction times due to genetic or physiological differences, which may not necessarily indicate their cognitive abilities.