Reaction of SOCl2 with White Phosphorus: Product Analysis

In summary: At the same time there was definitely a moment (when I learned for an inorganic chemistry exam) that I remembered many such things.It is possible that people have not discovered a mechanism for these reactions yet.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

The product formed in the reaction of SOCl2 with white phosphorus is
1. PCl3
2. SO2Cl2
3. SCl2
4. POCl3

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

I can google that but I want to know that how can we know it intuitively or by ourselves?
It was asked in a test and in test, internet is not available.

There must be a way or then why it is asked in exam because there are many reactions in World ( may be infinite) and to rote memorize each of it may not be fruitful as we have to look at our retention power?

Physics news on Phys.org
These days I wouldn't know without checking some reference book.

At the same time there was definitely a moment (when I learned for an inorganic chemistry exam) that I remembered many such things.

Likes epenguin
Borek said:

At the same time there was definitely a moment (when I learned for an inorganic chemistry exam) that I remembered many such things.
But in reference books also so many reactions are given maybe 100 or 150 for s - block. 300- 500 for p-block. They have done the balancing , written stoichometric coefficients, reactants and products.What is a clever way to learn?

Are the exams checking our rote memorization power by that?

It is in ncert page 177.

mooncrater said:
It is in ncert page 177.
HaHa know that. Can you answer my post 3?

For P block, s block and hydrogen only (and only) NCERT is sufficient for JEE (adv). For metallurgy, d-block, inorganic qualitative analysis (not in ncert) you need to go in deep.

mooncrater said:
For P block, s block and hydrogen only (and only) NCERT is sufficient for JEE (adv). For metallurgy, d-block, inorganic qualitative analysis (not in ncert) you need to go in deep.
Do you know every reaction given in NCERT of s block and p block?

Raghav Gupta said:
Do you know every reaction given in NCERT of s block and p block?
I need to revise the whole s block, p block and Hydrogen after which i can claim that(which I have not recently). But this is the minimal requirement that must be fulfilled to gain a score in inorganic.

What is a clever way of learning this reactions as I have asked in post 3 ?
You may have read that chapters earlier also in 11th grade but the thing is of retaining.
Some chapters we remember because of interest.
I was also trying to revise but it seems hard.

There is no clever way. In a week, study and revise the whole inorganic twice, (nowadays you will need more time dedicated as we don't have time). Revise, revise, revise...

Borek said:

Yes and there must be some reason beta-napthtol rings a bell, I must have known what it is used for once.:redface: :oldfrown:

epenguin said:
Yes and there must be some reason beta-napthtol rings a bell, I must have known what it is used for once.:redface: :oldfrown:
So you have seen my other thread, involving β naphthol.:smile:
I was just asking if you people know some tricks to learn inorganic chemistry the clever way to retain all.

So I think the conclusion reached is don't give importance to these topics so much or if you have the power learn it all.( I hope epenguin will not put me in his blacklist.:rolleyes: )
In my opinion there must be a mechanism for these reactions or the people have not discovered that?

Likes mooncrater

Related to Reaction of SOCl2 with White Phosphorus: Product Analysis

1. What is the purpose of reacting SOCl2 with white phosphorus?

The purpose of reacting SOCl2 with white phosphorus is to produce an organic compound known as thionyl chloride. This reaction is commonly used in organic chemistry to convert alcohols to alkyl chlorides.

2. What is the general reaction equation for SOCl2 and white phosphorus?

The general reaction equation for SOCl2 and white phosphorus is: P4 + 6SOCl2 → 4POCl3 + 2SO2 + 2SO2Cl2. This reaction produces phosphorus oxychloride (POCl3) and sulfur dioxide (SO2) as byproducts.

3. How is the reaction between SOCl2 and white phosphorus typically carried out?

The reaction between SOCl2 and white phosphorus is typically carried out in an inert solvent such as benzene or chloroform. The white phosphorus is added to the solvent, followed by the gradual addition of SOCl2. The reaction is often heated to speed up the process.

4. What are the main products of the reaction of SOCl2 with white phosphorus?

The main products of the reaction of SOCl2 with white phosphorus are thionyl chloride (SOCl2) and phosphorus oxychloride (POCl3). These two compounds are important reagents in organic synthesis and are used in a variety of chemical reactions.

5. What are some potential hazards or safety precautions to consider when working with SOCl2 and white phosphorus?

SOCl2 and white phosphorus are both highly reactive and toxic substances. When working with these chemicals, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and a lab coat, and to work in a well-ventilated area. Both substances can cause severe skin and eye irritation, and proper disposal methods should be followed to prevent environmental contamination.