Reaction of Gold & Hydrochloric Acid: Is it Possible?

In summary, when gold reacts with hydrochloric acid, it forms gold chloride and hydrogen gas in a single replacement reaction. Gold can dissolve in hydrochloric acid and this reaction is used in gold refinement. The chemical equation for the reaction is Au + HCl → AuCl + H₂. Gold reacts with hydrochloric acid due to its reactivity and forms yellow, soluble, and toxic gold chloride.
jools111

Homework Statement

Identify if a reaction is likely to occur, and write a net ionic equation:

a) Chromium dipped into silver nitarte
b) Gold immersed into hydrochloric acid

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Cr(s) + 3AgNO3(aq) ---> Cr(NO3)3(aq) + 3Ag(s)
Cr(s) + 3Ag(aq) + 3(NO3)(aq) ---> Cr(aq) + 3NO3(aq) + 3Ag(s)
Cr(s) + 3Ag(aq) ---> Cr(aq) + 3Ag(s)

I'm pretty sure this is right... but could anyone confirm? I think it's just an example of ionic displacement right?

b) From doing some research I think that no reaction will occur with gold and sulfuric acid, but why is this? Can anyone hep me out with where I should be referencing this information? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

a) Yes, your net ionic equation is correct. This is an example of a single displacement reaction, where the more reactive metal (chromium) replaces the less reactive metal (silver) in the compound.

b) Your research is correct, no reaction will occur between gold and hydrochloric acid. This is because gold is a noble metal and is not reactive with most acids. You can reference this information from a chemistry textbook or reliable online sources such as scientific journals or educational websites.

Related to Reaction of Gold & Hydrochloric Acid: Is it Possible?

1. What happens when gold reacts with hydrochloric acid?

When gold reacts with hydrochloric acid, it undergoes a chemical reaction that results in the formation of gold chloride and hydrogen gas. This reaction is also known as the single replacement reaction.

2. Is it possible for gold to dissolve in hydrochloric acid?

Yes, gold can dissolve in hydrochloric acid under certain conditions. This reaction is commonly used in the refining and purification of gold.

3. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between gold and hydrochloric acid?

The chemical equation for the reaction between gold and hydrochloric acid is Au + HCl → AuCl + H₂. This equation shows that one molecule of gold reacts with two molecules of hydrochloric acid to produce one molecule of gold chloride and two molecules of hydrogen gas.

4. Why does gold react with hydrochloric acid?

Gold reacts with hydrochloric acid because it is a highly reactive metal. It has a low electronegativity and easily loses electrons, making it prone to react with other substances. In this reaction, gold loses electrons to form gold ions, which then combine with chloride ions from hydrochloric acid to form gold chloride.

5. What are the properties of gold chloride formed in this reaction?

Gold chloride has a yellow color and is highly soluble in water. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of gold nanoparticles and as a catalyst in organic reactions. In addition, gold chloride is highly toxic and must be handled with caution.