Reaction of 118 elements simultaneously = product?

In summary: On the other hand, if you will mix all elements at normal temperature (that is, far from conditions required for fusion) you will get some difficult to predict mixture of products.In summary, when all 118 elements of the periodic table are mixed together, there is no predictable final product. Nuclear fusion and fission reactions produce different products, but we don't know what they will be.
hyunxu
This may be bit weird but really do we get any product after the reaction of 118 elements of the periodic table.We know masses of reactant = masses of product.But no so in nuclear fission and fusion.Anyhow finally what might be that product?and what is going to be its state.Please explain me well because I'm just a school student.

Waiting for your best responses.
images (12).jpeg

Attachments

• images (12).jpeg
    images (12).jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 659
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi hyunxu. It's not clear to me what you're asking. What is reacting? All 118 elements of the periodic table at the same time? What kind of reaction are you asking about?

Drakkith said:
Hi hyunxu. It's not clear to me what you're asking. What is reacting? All 118 elements of the periodic table at the same time? What kind of reaction are you asking about?
I mean like mixing all the sliced fruits together in a fruit salad.

If you mean fusion reactions, then you'll get a mess of different elements and isotopes. I wouldn't be able to even begin to list them all.

On the other hand, if you will mix all elements at normal temperature (that is, far from conditions required for fusion) you will get some difficult to predict mixture of products. More reactive elements will react quickly, the less reactive ones will stay inert or get passivated. Final result would depend on many factors, like the initial form of the elements and their relative initial amounts.

Likes baldbrain and hyunxu
Likes krater, Tom.G, hyunxu and 1 other person
Borek said:
On the other hand, if you will mix all elements at normal temperature (that is, far from conditions required for fusion) you will get some difficult to predict mixture of products.

Oh, I think I can predict what will happen when the cesium and the fluorine get together...

Perhaps an interesting thought experiment: Assume you have one atom of each of the 118 elements. Given standard temperature and pressure, what is the most thermodynamically stable configuration of those atoms?

We probably don't have enough data on heats of formation to determine the answer, but there should at least be a unique answer to the question in theory (at least w/o complications from the decay chains of the radioactive elements).

Related to Reaction of 118 elements simultaneously = product?

1. What happens when all 118 elements react simultaneously?

When all 118 elements react simultaneously, a large-scale chemical reaction occurs which leads to the formation of a product. The exact nature of this product cannot be determined as it would depend on the specific elements and their quantities involved in the reaction. However, it is likely that the product would be a complex mixture of various compounds.

2. Is it possible for all 118 elements to react at the same time?

No, it is not possible for all 118 elements to react simultaneously in a controlled laboratory setting. This is because some elements may not react with each other due to differences in their chemical properties, and it would be extremely difficult to control the reaction conditions for such a large number of elements at once.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a reaction involving all 118 elements?

The outcome of a reaction involving all 118 elements would be affected by various factors such as the quantities of each element involved, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, the presence of any catalysts, and the reactants' physical states. These factors would determine the specific compounds formed and their relative quantities.

4. How would the reaction of 118 elements simultaneously be studied or observed?

The reaction of 118 elements simultaneously cannot be studied or observed directly as it is not feasible to carry out such a reaction in a laboratory. However, scientists can use computer simulations or theoretical models to predict the possible outcomes of such a reaction based on the known properties of each element.

5. Are there any real-life examples of reactions involving a large number of elements?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of reactions involving a large number of elements, such as combustion reactions in engines, photosynthesis in plants, and chemical reactions in the human body. However, these reactions do not involve all 118 elements at once and are carefully controlled by various factors to produce specific products.