Reaction forces in simple beam involving applied moments

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of moments and forces in determining the reaction forces at points A and B in a given problem. The applied moment is not considered a force, but rather a pair of equal and opposite forces. The correct working method involves considering clockwise as positive and maintaining at least four significant digits in intermediate calculations. The resulting reaction forces at A and B are calculated to be 4.3kN and 11.7kN, respectively.
nick.falconer

Homework Statement

IMAG0195.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure how to work out the reaction forces because of the applied moment of 50kN.m. I know that the formulas are the sum of forces in a single direction equals 0 and the sum of moments about a point equal 0. But does the applied moment count as a force? And as a moment do I multiply it by the distance from the point I'm taking?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi nick! welcome to pf! :wink:
nick.falconer said:
… does the applied moment count as a force? And as a moment do I multiply it by the distance from the point I'm taking?

an applied moment counts as a pair of equal and opposite (but not in-line) forces …

so no, it doesn't "count" as a linear force, and its moment is the same about any point :smile:

So if my working is correct is the reaction force at A=4.3kN and B=11.7kN

nick.falconer said:
So if my working is correct is the reaction force at A=4.3kN and B=11.7kN

if your working is correct, then your answer will be correct also :confused:

(what working? :redface:)

Oops left out the working.

Taking down as positive and and clockwise as positive

sum of forces = 0 = -RA + 4x4 - RB

sum of moments about A = 0 = 16x2 + 50 - RBx7

So RB = 11.7kN and RA = 4.3kN

nick.falconer: Your answers in post 3 were correct, except generally always maintain at least four significant digits throughout all your intermediate calculations, then round only the final answer to three (or four) significant digits. RB in your post should instead be RD. Also, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 4.29 kN, not 4.29kN. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

Related to Reaction forces in simple beam involving applied moments

1. What are reaction forces in a simple beam?

Reaction forces in a simple beam refer to the forces that act on the supports of the beam in response to an applied load or moment. These forces prevent the beam from collapsing or moving due to the applied load.

2. How are reaction forces calculated in a simple beam?

Reaction forces can be calculated using the principles of statics, which state that the sum of all forces and moments acting on a stationary object is equal to zero. This means that the sum of the reaction forces at each support must be equal and opposite to the applied load or moment.

3. What is the difference between a reaction force and a shear force in a simple beam?

A reaction force is the force that acts on the supports of a beam, while a shear force is the force that acts parallel to the cross-section of the beam. Reaction forces are caused by external loads, while shear forces are caused by internal stresses in the beam.

4. How do applied moments affect reaction forces in a simple beam?

Applied moments, also known as bending moments, can cause reaction forces to change in magnitude and direction along the beam. This is because moments create internal stresses in the beam, which in turn affect the reaction forces at the supports.

5. How do reaction forces affect the stability of a simple beam?

Reaction forces are crucial for the stability of a simple beam. Without these forces, the beam would collapse or move due to the applied load or moment. Therefore, it is essential to calculate and consider the reaction forces when designing and analyzing a simple beam to ensure its stability and safety.