Reaction-Diffusion - numerical simulation

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their numerical simulation of a reaction-diffusion system. They have already successfully created a simulation in 1D but are struggling to make it work in 2D. They ask if anyone has experience with this type of simulation and if they could provide resources or code examples. The responder advises them to check their numerical treatment and suggests a book and open-source codes as resources. They also offer to provide more specific help if needed.
xcubic
Hi to all,

I've been around this forum for some time now, but this is the first time I actually registered in need to ask you for some help to crack this. I've seen some great minds who surely could give me some lights. Thanks to all :)

Homework Statement

So, um trying to create a numerical simulation of a reaction-diffusion system (see eq. below) and I already did the numerical treatment and ok.
My goal is to build this on 2D and I already did on 1D and it went well.

Homework Equations

Here is my system of coupled equations:
du/dt = laplacian(u) + gamma * f(u,v)
dv/dt = d * laplacian(v) + gamma * g(u,v)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already build the simulation but it's not working as it should be. I want to know if someone already did try is hand at this and how it went? Maybe you could show me where to find some resources or show me some code/numerical recipes to me so I could make my simulation run properly.

Thanks to all, and sorry for my English, I'm not a natural English speaker and never really had English classes.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

It's great to see that you are working on a numerical simulation of a reaction-diffusion system. This is a very interesting and challenging problem that has many applications in various fields of science.

First of all, I would suggest checking your numerical treatment and making sure that it is correct. Sometimes, even small errors in the numerical treatment can lead to incorrect results. You can also try to simplify your system of equations and test it on a simpler case to make sure that your code is working properly.

In terms of resources, there are many books and articles on numerical methods for reaction-diffusion systems. One book that I would recommend is "Numerical Methods for Reaction-Diffusion Problems" by John Thoo. It covers various numerical methods for solving these types of systems and also provides code examples.

Additionally, you can also look for open-source codes or code repositories online that have already implemented numerical simulations of reaction-diffusion systems. This can give you a reference point and help you troubleshoot any issues in your own code.

I hope this helps and good luck with your simulation! Don't hesitate to ask for more specific help if needed.

Hello,

Reaction-diffusion systems are a fascinating field of study and numerical simulations are an important tool for understanding and predicting their behavior. It's great that you have already successfully created a 1D simulation and are now attempting to extend it to 2D.

One possible reason why your 2D simulation is not working as expected could be due to the differences in the numerical treatment between 1D and 2D. In 2D, the Laplacian operator is defined as the sum of the second derivatives in both x and y directions, while in 1D it is simply the second derivative in the x direction. This could lead to differences in the stability and accuracy of your simulation.

I would recommend checking your numerical treatment and making sure it is appropriate for a 2D system. You could also try looking for resources or code examples specifically for 2D reaction-diffusion simulations. Additionally, it would be helpful to compare your results with analytical solutions or experimental data to ensure the accuracy of your simulation.

Overall, keep experimenting and don't be discouraged if your simulation doesn't work perfectly at first. With some adjustments and fine-tuning, you will be able to create a successful 2D reaction-diffusion simulation.

Best of luck!

Related to Reaction-Diffusion - numerical simulation

1. What is the purpose of numerical simulation in reaction-diffusion studies?

Numerical simulation is used to model and analyze the behavior of reaction-diffusion systems. It allows scientists to study the complex dynamics and patterns that emerge from the interactions between chemical reactions and diffusion processes.

2. How does reaction-diffusion numerical simulation work?

In reaction-diffusion numerical simulation, mathematical equations are used to represent the rates of reaction and diffusion within a system. These equations are then solved using computational methods to simulate the behavior of the system over time.

3. What are the benefits of using numerical simulation in reaction-diffusion research?

Numerical simulation allows for the exploration of a wide range of parameters and conditions that may not be feasible or ethical to study in a laboratory setting. It also provides a more detailed and precise analysis of the dynamics and patterns that occur in reaction-diffusion systems.

4. What are the limitations of reaction-diffusion numerical simulation?

Numerical simulation relies on the accuracy and validity of the mathematical models used to represent the system. It also may not be able to capture all of the complexities and nuances of real-world systems, leading to potential discrepancies between simulation results and experimental data.

5. How is reaction-diffusion numerical simulation used in practical applications?

Numerical simulation has a wide range of practical applications, including studying the spread of diseases, predicting chemical reactions in industrial processes, and understanding pattern formation in biological systems. It can also be used to design and optimize new materials and structures with desired properties.