Reaction and friction coefficient on a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses a cylinder weighing 200N on a rough surface, held in place by a rope. The question is to find the tension in the rope and the minimal coefficient of friction. The solution involves calculating the torque from the weight of the cylinder and the tension in the rope, and then using the friction equation to find the coefficient of friction. A mistake was made initially, but was corrected and the correct value for the tension was found.
Karol

Homework Statement

The cylinder weighs 200[N] and lies on a rough surface. a rope holds it in place.
What's the tension T in the rope and what's the minimal coefficient of friction.

Homework Equations

Friction: f=μN

The Attempt at a Solution

All the geometry i have drawn. T balances the torque made by the weight of the cylinder. i calculate torque round the point of contact with the inclined surface:
The distance d from the line of action of T:
$$d=\frac{R}{\tan30^0}\cdot \sin 60^0$$
Now the torque from the weight equals the torque from T:
$$200R\cdot \sin 30^0=T\cdot d\rightarrow T=66.7$$
It should be 654 and i don't continue yet to the friction coefficient.
Edit: i found my mistake, in Newtons it comes out right. now i will try to find the coefficient of friction

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get 654 N if the cylinder has a mass of 200 kg instead of a weight of 200N.

654/66.7=9.81 made the difference clear.

Related to Reaction and friction coefficient on a cylinder

What is a reaction force on a cylinder?

A reaction force on a cylinder is a force that is exerted by a surface on the cylinder when it comes into contact with it. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force that the cylinder exerts on the surface.

What is the friction coefficient on a cylinder?

The friction coefficient on a cylinder is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between the cylinder and a surface it is in contact with. It is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force.

How does the friction coefficient affect the movement of a cylinder?

The friction coefficient affects the movement of a cylinder by determining the amount of resistance between the cylinder and the surface it is in contact with. A higher friction coefficient means there is more resistance, making it harder for the cylinder to move.

What factors can affect the reaction force on a cylinder?

The factors that can affect the reaction force on a cylinder include the weight of the cylinder, the angle of contact with the surface, and the properties of the surface such as its texture and material.

How can the friction coefficient on a cylinder be reduced?

The friction coefficient on a cylinder can be reduced by using lubricants, decreasing the weight of the cylinder, or changing the material or texture of the surface it is in contact with. Additionally, increasing the surface area of the contact between the cylinder and the surface can also reduce the friction coefficient.