Reacting chloroammine gases with solid

In summary, the speaker has been experimenting with chloroammine gases and wants to react them with solids. They have had some success, but are looking for more efficient reactions. They are producing a mixture of NH3, NH4Cl, NH2Cl, and NHCl2 and are specifically interested in reacting the chloroammine gases. They are aware of the reaction 2NH4Cl + Na2CO3 -> 2NaCl + (NH3)2CO3, but are unsure if the other compounds will react with sodium carbonate or bicarbonate. The speaker is seeking suggestions for solid chemicals to use in their experiment and is open to exploring the reactivity of NH2Cl and NHCl2 with sodium hydrox
kateman
Hi all, I've been playing around with chloroammine gases and have been trying to react them with solids [with some success, but I don't think it is as efficient as I would like].
I am producing a mixture of NH3, NH4Cl, NH2Cl, NHCl2. The ammonia I am not worried about, what I am wanting to do is react the chloroammine gases.
I know 2NH4Cl + Na2CO3 -> 2NaCl + (NH3)2CO3
But I don't know if the NH2Cl and NHCl2 are reacting with the sodium carbonate and/or sodium bicarbonate. Does anyone think they will and/or does anyone have any better suggestions for solid chemicals I could use in this case for reactions at STP?

Thank you very much! :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great to see your interest in experimenting with chloroammine gases. I would suggest looking into the reactivity of NH2Cl and NHCl2 with sodium carbonate and bicarbonate separately, as they have different chemical properties. Additionally, you can also explore the use of other solid chemicals such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide, which are known to react with ammonia compounds. It's always important to test and compare the efficiency of different reactants before deciding on the most suitable one for your experiment. Best of luck!

Related to Reacting chloroammine gases with solid

1. What is the purpose of reacting chloroammine gases with solid?

The purpose of this reaction is to create a chemical compound that can be used for various applications, such as in industrial processes or in research experiments.

2. What are the main reactants in this reaction?

The main reactants in this reaction are chloroammine gases, which are a type of ammonia compound, and a solid material, which can vary depending on the specific application.

3. What happens during the reaction between chloroammine gases and solid?

During the reaction, the chloroammine gases will react with the solid material, resulting in a chemical reaction that forms a new compound. This process may also release heat or other byproducts depending on the specific reactants and conditions.

4. What are some potential uses for the product of this reaction?

The product of this reaction can be used in a variety of ways, such as a fertilizer in agriculture, a catalyst in industrial processes, or a reagent in chemical reactions for research or manufacturing purposes.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when conducting this reaction?

Yes, it is important to handle chloroammine gases and solid materials with caution and follow proper safety protocols to avoid potential hazards. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly disposing of any waste products.