Reactance and Inductance of an inductor

In summary, the inductance of the inductor is 100 ohms at 2kHz, and the frequency at which the inductive reactance of a 3.5-mH inductor is equal to 10 ohm can be found by solving the equation w = 2πf for frequency.
Kathi201
a. The reactance of an inductor is 100 ohms at 2kHz. What is the inductance of this inductor??

b. At what frequency is the reactance of a 3.5-mH inductor equal to 10 ohm?

I am not even sure what equations to use for these two questions. I know that for a the inductive reactance equation is XL = wL, but here I have two unknowns, XL and w so I am not sure what equation to use. For b the frequency equation I have is w = 1/LC but I do not know the capacitance.

If anyone knows the equations that I would use for these two I would appreciate the help ASAP! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
a) you have only one unknown because the angular frequency [tex] \omega[/tex] is simply related to frequency by [tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex] .

b) Use the same inductance equation--not the capacitance equation you wrote down for b)!--solving this time for frequency.

I can provide some insights on these questions.

a. The reactance of an inductor is given by the equation XL = 2πfL, where XL is the inductive reactance in ohms, f is the frequency in Hertz, and L is the inductance in Henrys. So, for the given reactance of 100 ohms and frequency of 2kHz, we can rearrange the equation to solve for L: L = XL/(2πf) = 100/(2π*2000) = 0.0159 Henrys.

b. To find the frequency at which the reactance of a 3.5-mH inductor is equal to 10 ohms, we can use the same equation XL = 2πfL and plug in the values: 10 = 2πf*3.5*10^-3. Solving for f, we get f = 10/(2π*3.5*10^-3) = 4.53kHz.

I hope this helps! It's important to note that these equations are based on ideal conditions and may vary in real-world scenarios. Factors such as resistance and capacitance can affect the reactance and inductance of an inductor.

Related to Reactance and Inductance of an inductor

What is reactance?

Reactance is the opposition to the flow of alternating current caused by the capacitance or inductance of a circuit component.

What is inductance?

Inductance is the property of a circuit component that causes it to oppose changes in current flow.

How are reactance and inductance related?

Reactance and inductance are related because both are forms of opposition to the flow of current in a circuit. Reactance is caused by capacitance and inductance is caused by the magnetic field of an inductor.

How are reactance and inductance measured?

Reactance and inductance are measured in ohms (Ω). Reactance is measured using an impedance meter, while inductance is measured using an inductance meter or by calculating the time constant of a circuit.

What are some practical applications of reactance and inductance?

Reactance and inductance have many practical applications in various electronic devices and systems. They are used in filters, transformers, and motors, among other things. They also play a crucial role in the functionality of AC circuits.