Reaching the Speed of Light: Effects in Atmosphere & Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of traveling faster than the speed of light and the potential reactions in different mediums. It is stated that it is not possible for objects to move faster than the speed of light and any question regarding this is moot. However, it is mentioned that particles can move faster than c' (the speed of light in a medium) and this results in a "flash" of light known as the Cerenkov effect. The idea of traveling faster than light by warping or ripping space-time is also brought up, but it is noted that this requires elusive negative energy which is beyond our current capabilities.
tomfr62
When or if an object exceeds the speed of light what will the reaction be a) in our atmosphere, b) in space?
Thank you in advance
Tom F

Science news on Phys.org
Since it is not possible for an object to move faster than the speed of light, relative to any frame of reference, your question is moot.

Pupil
Thank you, I am aware that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, I am just curious as to what would be the result if an object could exceed that speed.
Thank you
Tom F

Pupil said:
No objects travel faster than light. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformations or Google 'speed of light'.

Since the OP's question is answered, I'll use this thread for a related question.

If the speed of light in a different medium is c', is c' the maximum attainable speed for any object in that medium? I do not think so, but I would like to confirm it.

No, if the speed of light in a medium is c' (where c' is less than the speed of light in vacuum) an object cam move faster than c'.
The phenomenon is not uncommon for elementary particle and is used to build detectors.
When the particle moves faster than c' there is a "flash" of light that can be observed - Cerenkov effect.

nasu said:
No, if the speed of light in a medium is c' (where c' is less than the speed of light in vacuum) an object cam move faster than c'.
The phenomenon is not uncommon for elementary particle and is used to build detectors.
When the particle moves faster than c' there is a "flash" of light that can be observed - Cerenkov effect.

beat me to it! Cerenkov radiation is by far the coolest thing I've read about outside of my undergrad studies.

tomfr62 said:
Thank you, I am aware that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, I am just curious as to what would be the result if an object could exceed that speed.

It's a little like asking what's north of the north pole.

In a medium, the answer is given: you get Cerenkov radiation for charged particles. In a vacuum, there is no answer.

It is physically possible to travel faster than the speed of light by invoking general relativity, that is by either warping or ripping space-time. Think about it if we rip or warp space time so that an object is closer to us, it's going to take us a shorter amount of time to reach it, and therefore we're going to travel faster than light (if we want to). Similarly the shortest distance between two points is a worm hole rather than a straight line, so it is possible to travel faster than light this way aswell. However both these methods require elusive negative energy of which I know very little about, and is way beyond anything we can achieve in the foreseeable future. With regards to traveling through space faster than light, its handy to look at the highly theological Alcubierre drive (he dreamt it up via star trek) which uses negative energy rather than postive energy to power the body, as opposed to the positive energy used today to travel at lower than speed of light speeds. What you would effectively see, traveling faster than the speed of light according to Alcubierre is this "In front of the ship, stars would become long lines, streaks. At the back, nothing would be seen as light from previous stars wouldn't be traveling fast enough to keep up". Basically like the millenium falcon out of star wars.

How true that is I don't know, just out of this Kaku book I've been reading

Byllie said:
It is physically possible to travel faster than the speed of light by invoking general relativity, that is by either warping or ripping space-time. Think about it if we rip or warp space time so that an object is closer to us, it's going to take us a shorter amount of time to reach it, and therefore we're going to travel faster than light (if we want to). Similarly the shortest distance between two points is a worm hole rather than a straight line, so it is possible to travel faster than light this way aswell. However both these methods require elusive negative energy of which I know very little about, and is way beyond anything we can achieve in the foreseeable future. With regards to traveling through space faster than light, its handy to look at the highly theological Alcubierre drive (he dreamt it up via star trek) which uses negative energy rather than postive energy to power the body, as opposed to the positive energy used today to travel at lower than speed of light speeds. What you would effectively see, traveling faster than the speed of light according to Alcubierre is this "In front of the ship, stars would become long lines, streaks. At the back, nothing would be seen as light from previous stars wouldn't be traveling fast enough to keep up". Basically like the millenium falcon out of star wars.

How true that is I don't know, just out of this Kaku book I've been reading

None of these sound like faster-than-light travel: they sound like finding-shortcut travel.

Pupil said:
None of these sound like faster-than-light travel: they sound like finding-shortcut travel.

But even so, if you can get from A to B faster than light, is that not faster than light travel?

Byllie said:
But even so, if you can get from A to B faster than light, is that not faster than light travel?

Are you talking about velocity or speed?

Pupil said:
Are you talking about velocity or speed?

velocity, I am speaking in speed due to the common phrase 'speed of light'. I can see how those methods may not seem conventionally 'hyperspeed' like, infact space needs to be pre-ripped in order for faster than light travel to take place (bit like a pre-exsisting highway), but then again, this is only relative to light that does not travel through the ripped space, so you would still be traveling slower than light in the warped zone. So as I said, not faster-than-light travel in the conventional sense.

Take a look for yourself pupil

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/07/28/warp-speed-engine.html

Last edited:

Related to Reaching the Speed of Light: Effects in Atmosphere & Space

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is considered to be the fastest speed at which any object can travel in the universe.

2. Can anything reach the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, no object with mass can reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

3. How does the speed of light affect the atmosphere?

As light travels through the atmosphere, it is affected by various factors such as air density, temperature, and humidity. These factors can cause light to bend, scatter, and be absorbed, which can impact our perception of objects and their colors in the atmosphere.

4. What happens when an object travels at the speed of light in space?

If an object were to travel at the speed of light in space, time would slow down for that object according to the theory of relativity. This is known as time dilation and it means that the object would experience time passing slower compared to objects moving at slower speeds.

5. Is it possible for humans to travel at the speed of light?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for humans to travel at the speed of light. The amount of energy required to accelerate an object with mass to the speed of light is beyond our current technology and would also have significant effects on the human body.