Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Re Size 2 numbers/lines

xNICK

Feb 7, 2019
Hey, I need to re size one line so it matches the second line. So Line 1's highest point is 100 and its lowest point is 0. Line 2's highest point is 1 and its lowest point is 0. Line 1 is currently at 30 and line 2 is currently at .7, how could I re size line 2 to be between 0 and 100 instead of 0 and 1 so that line 2 would then be at 70 not .7. This is just a simple example, but im sure there is a formula for this i just can figure it out myself. Thanks for your time and help!

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
You'll have to be much more detailed in order to explain the problem properly.

So Line 1's highest point is 100 and its lowest point is 0.
What do you mean by the line here? A sine wave? What do you mean that the highest point is 100? Namely, how can a point be a number?

Line 1 is currently at 30
What does this mean? A line is presumably an infinite set of points, and you can't specify even a single point with a single number.

how could I re size line 2
What exactly do you mean by resizing?

xNICK

Feb 7, 2019
Sorry for the confusion, I have 2 different graphs, graph1's highest is 100 and lowest is 0, then graph2's highest is 1 and lowest is 0. I want to overlay both these graphs on the same graph. So if i put graph2 onto graph1, when graph2 goes to .3 its then 30 on graph1 instead of being .3? Does that make better since? Thanks again.

Olinguito

Apr 22, 2018
how could I re size line 2 to be between 0 and 100 instead of 0 and 1
If the Cartesian equation of the second line (curve) is $y=f(x)$, change it to $y=100\cdot f(x)$.

xNICK

Feb 7, 2019
If the Cartesian equation of the second line (curve) is $y=f(x)$, change it to $y=100\cdot f(x)$.
I don't know what that means, but this is what I was looking for.
Graph1==G1
Highest==100
Lowest==0
Current line == 70

Graph2==G2
Highest==1
Lowest==0
Current line == .3

So to put graph2 onto graph1, I would take (G2 line ".3" - G2 lowest "0") / (G2 Highest "1" - G2 lowest "0")=.3 so X==.3,
then (((G1 highest "100" - G1 lowest "0") * X ) + G1 Lowest "0") = 30. So I re sized my line on g2 at .3 to be on g1 at 30.
No idea what this formula is called if anyone knows. I made it from this formula xp=x1+p(x2-x1).
Thanks for all the help! Sorry I probably didnt explain it well enough. Let me know if it make since now ? Thanks again!