What is Young's Modulus and How Does it Differ Between Materials?

In summary: I need to try a lot harder in physics from now. I need physics as I'm planning to be a Civil Engineer and have to get at least a 'B' at A-level and AS. I think I could help you with that.
Magg$
Hey,

I'm doing my physics coursework at college and have to do a preliminary write up for it. This involves research and stuff.

But, i don't exactly know WHAT i have to write, as in what you think will happen and stuff.

Please help soon...

Magg$

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be in HWK help..but anyway:

I teach AS Physics, but without you giving more details can't really help you. What is the project? If you are doing the AS Advancing Physics sensor project, I know exactly what you need to do, but if not I need more details of the task.

Please supply more details, but remember, your teacher is paid to teach and help you - Go and ask him/her for guidance and help first, as they know exactly what is expected..

Hi Adrian!

Yes, i am doing the AS Advancing Physics sensor project.
I have asked my teacher but he always seems so distracted by other members of the class and i can't get a straight answer.

I have chosen to do a pressure experiment.
I have a glass syringe pointing down, hooked up to a pressure sensor via a rubber tube.
Then i put weights on the plunger going from 100g to 1kg. The sensor is connected to an ammeter and a voltmeter, i have also had to measure the amount the plunger falls from its initial position and the volume of the syringe.

Anyway, i have already got results but am meant to have a plan already which will be marked as part of the whole project. If possible, could you tell me what the plan has to involve, and what has to go into the write-up of my experiment, before and after my results.

I know its quite a lot to ask, but honestly, my teacher is sooo busy...

Please help, Magg$...

Originally posted by Magg$

I have chosen to do a pressure experiment.
I have a glass syringe pointing down, hooked up to a pressure sensor via a rubber tube.
Then i put weights on the plunger going from 100g to 1kg. The sensor is connected to an ammeter and a voltmeter, i have also had to measure the amount the plunger falls from its initial position and the volume of the syringe.

Anyway, i have already got results but am meant to have a plan already which will be marked as part of the whole project. If possible, could you tell me what the plan has to involve, and what has to go into the write-up of my experiment, before and after my results.

I know its quite a lot to ask, but honestly, my teacher is sooo busy...

Please help, Magg$...

Ok - Your main 'plan' was obviously not written up beforehand (not a problem) but what your write up should include is what type of sensor you decided to build (or analyse), what it could be used for and how you intend to do it. (Was this clear in your mind at th4e start I wonder?)

You need to then show a circuit diagram of the 'sensor' part of the project and EXPLAIN how it works. This is a Physics project so use some physics! Include in the explanation how the syringe position is linked with the output.

Are you measuring 'everything you can think of' or are you measuring a specific relationship such as pressure against output voltage?
With your results you should be able to plot a 'calibration curve' of some kind so that a user of your sensor could read off the voltage and immediately know the pressure, or the syringe position or whatever it is that you are sensing.

Let me know if this is a help to get you started. :smile:

Thanks!

Yeah, what you've said does help.

I'm measuring most things but am also stuck on how to change voltage and current into something relevant to Pressure, could you help with that?

I need to try a lot harder in physics from now. I need physics as I'm planning to be a Civil Engineer and have to get at least a 'B' at A-level and AS.

Are you a biker?
I'm into motorbikes aswell. My dad rides so I've just sort of accumulated bike knowledge. I'm getting my bike soon, probably in February. I want a 1970's Honda CG125 or a BSA Shooting Star as a first bike.
You don't happen to live in the West Midlands do you? Cos you may know a decent place for cheap leaner bikes.

Please reply, Magg$...

Hey

Could you tell me, What is the piezo electric effect?

Yeah, what you've said does help.

I'm measuring most things but am also stuck on how to change voltage and current into something relevant to Pressure, could you help with that?

You don't have to change it into something relevant. The point of a sensor project is to measure some physical change (ie pressure) and get an electrical readout. Did you get a varying voltage as the pressure changed? If so plot pressure against voltage on a graph and you have a calibration curve... This means that for an 'unknown' pressure you can read off the voltage, check your graph and hence deduce what the pressure is!

I need to try a lot harder in physics from now. I need physics as I'm planning to be a Civil Engineer and have to get at least a 'B' at A-level and AS.

It is not difficult to get at least a 'B' but hard work and independant study are the keys. If you don't understand something, don't let it go - work at it until you've got it.

Are you a biker?
I'm into motorbikes aswell. My dad rides so I've just sort of accumulated bike knowledge. I'm getting my bike soon, probably in February. I want a 1970's Honda CG125 or a BSA Shooting Star as a first bike.
You don't happen to live in the West Midlands do you? Cos you may know a decent place for cheap leaner bikes.

Am I a biker? Too right - I've been riding 27 years! I've done Trials, motocross and Road Racing. At present I race a 1967 Suzuki 250 in Classic racing and won the CRMC 250cc twins championship this year!

I have several bikes including a 916 Ducati, '59 BSA A10, '76 Ossa, a Suzuki T20 and of course my race bikes - check out my website www.t20suzuki.com

I'm from Coventry originally, but now live 'darn sarf'.

Could you tell me, What is the piezo electric effect?

Type it into Google and do some research... :smile:

You have to do AS physics coursework? What exam board are you with?

Cool!

BSA's are my favourite bikes, but modern bikes have grown on me and i really like the Ducati 748. I saw one at last years motorcycle and scooter show.

Anyway, back to coursework. I've found out all my research, and I'm on my method section of the experiment write-up. With my current and voltage readings i'll calculate resistance. And, I'm calculating the surface area of the syringe so that, by changing the masses into Newtons, i'll be able to get the pressure in pascals. I'll be OK now until my concluson and Evaluations, i never know what to put in these! (and there the most important parts!) The only thing is, the whole coursework write-up has got to be complete and handed in by Monday! And I'm out all sunday, and at work friday and saturday from 6pm. Also, I've got Archery tomorrow night. You couldn't tell me what needs to go into the conc. and eval. could you? It would really help...

Magg$

Hey

I'm with OCR i think!

Can you help?

... The only thing is, the whole coursework write-up has got to be complete and handed in by Monday! And I'm out all sunday, and at work friday and saturday from 6pm. Also, I've got Archery tomorrow night. You couldn't tell me what needs to go into the conc. and eval. could you? It would really help...

Magg$

You said in an earlier posting that: "I need to try a lot harder in physics from now. I need physics as I'm planning to be a Civil Engineer and have to get at least a 'B' at A-level and AS".

Could I suggest that 'needing to try harder' and actually doing so are different things... perhaps archery and other attractions could take a miss if you have a coursework deadline and you want to do well in the subject! (I'm allowed to nag you - I am a teacher!)

How come you don't know what is expected of you in this write up? Go and find you teacher and talk it through with them.. you must do this if you don't know what to do, no matter how 'busy' they are. It sounds to me like you are trying to write it up in the same way as you did your GCSE coursework. It is totally different, with different expectations. Have you got a copy of the mark scheme from your teacher? - if not go and ask for one. This is a detailed tick sheet with all the requirements on it. Ask your teacher to go through it with you...

I'm happy to help with problems, but you must be more proactive if you want to succeed... :smile:

One of the redeeming features of A-level physics with Edexcel is that there is no coursework.

Originally posted by AD
One of the redeeming features of A-level physics with Edexcel is that there is no coursework.

Stop gloating! :smile:

Thanks

Thanks for your help Adrian, i appreciate it.
Its all handed in now!

Thanks for your help Adrian, i appreciate it.
Its all handed in now!

Well done!

I hope it went well. Maybe see you at a racetrack next year.

OK

Yeah, maybe. I want to go to the Isle of Mann TT...

I've just done my sensing project too, infact I was retaking it because I failed it badly last year :frown:. I was very pleased with my coursework (handed it in on monday) but after reading this thread (found through google :)) I realize I didn't include anything about practicle uses in the real world. This wont've dragged me down too much will it?

Don't worry!

No, It won't drag you down very much at all,

You're not ny any chance a girl are you?

Girls don't need to retake :smile:. Anyway I already got my mark, an A, nice improvement from a D last year :smile:.

Hey Adrian

Hi Adrian

Its Magg$, you know, we talked before and you helped me with my coursework...

Only this time I'm talking out of my own interest...

Could you tell me what the Young's Modulus value is for:
Graphite,
Wood,
Steel,
Glass,
Aluminium,
and Titanium...

I know your going to think this is to help with coursework again because Young's Modulus is part of the AS syllabus but HONESTLY, this is through my own interest as I want more young's modulus values to do some comparisons between materials.

Please Help,

Magg$

P.S, I'm going to a lecture tomorrow about the Physics of Skydiving at Birmingham University, should be good!

1. What is the purpose of AS Physics coursework?

The purpose of AS Physics coursework is to provide students with an opportunity to apply the theories and principles they have learned in class to real-world situations. It also allows students to develop their practical skills, data analysis techniques, and critical thinking abilities.

2. How is AS Physics coursework assessed?

AS Physics coursework is typically assessed through a combination of written reports, experimental write-ups, and practical assessments. These assessments may also include presentations, group discussions, and individual interviews.

3. What topics are typically covered in AS Physics coursework?

The topics covered in AS Physics coursework may vary depending on the specific course or curriculum. However, common topics include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves, thermodynamics, and optics. Some courses may also cover topics such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and particle physics.

4. What skills do students develop through AS Physics coursework?

AS Physics coursework allows students to develop a variety of skills, including practical and experimental skills, data analysis and interpretation skills, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and communication skills. These skills are essential for success in further studies and careers in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).

5. How can I excel in AS Physics coursework?

To excel in AS Physics coursework, it is important to attend all classes and actively participate in class discussions and activities. It is also crucial to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or peers when needed. Additionally, students should try to relate the coursework to real-life situations and stay updated with advancements in the field of physics.